All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:36 pm

Post subject: Moria Golbins 800pt. Tournament Army
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I just bought my ticket to NOVA and I'm currently planning on bringing a Moria Goblin force (as that's what I have painted). I haven't been playing games in a few years (though that will change soon) so I'm not super familiar with the current meta. My goal is to have fun and play against cool armies so I'm not looking for the absolute best list out there, just one that's decent. I also would like to keep it pretty pure (it has to be one faction anyhow) and not have to hunt down a bunch of OOP or expensive models like blackshields and prowlers unless the army hinges on them. So here's what I've got so far.

Leader:
Durburz

Warband 1:
Captain w/ shield
4 Goblins w/ shield
2 Goblins w/ spear
4 goblins w/ bow
ttl= 90pts.

Warband 2:
Captain
4 Goblins w/ shield
2 Goblins w/ spear
4 goblins w/ bow
ttl= 85pts.

Warband 3:
Captain
4 Goblins w/ shield
2 Goblins w/ spear
4 goblins w/ bow
ttl= 85pts.

Warband 4:
Wild Warg Chieftain
8 Wild Wargs
ttl.= 139

Goblin Drum= 100
3 Cave Trolls (1 w/ spear)= 240

Grand total= 800
 Post subject: Re: Moria Golbins 800pt. Tournament Army
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im kinda of confused because you are showing your topic as a tournament army for us to look at, but you dont want the best list.

I have some advice basically, but I dont know how you want it or if you do.

One gaping hole though I see immediately is you need one shaman. The highest courage in your army is 4 for ONE dude. In addition he has I believe 3 might, 2 will. With all your might and will he can still easily fail a courage test. I was going to win a game with the goblin kings stand fast, with like 25 goblins around him. He failed with ALL his might and will, and I lost in one turn.

Please, bring one Shaman. I love the addition of the cave trolls and the Wild Warg chief and crew though....

edit: Also make durburz a warband leader instead of just a model alone. Unless hes leading the trolls I guess....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Derp. I totally forgot the trolls needed to be in a warband. I'm new to the warband style of list building. And I've been told already about the Shaman thing so that'll be top priority as well. Also, does warband structure matter in terms of deployment? If so I'll be restructuring those as well.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Instead of a shaman, or with one, you could get Druzhag the beastcaller to give the wargs some extra kick (or bite). I played against him many times with my friend and he is pretty effective, especially if you have some bats or spiders.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Begoras Silverbeard wrote:
Instead of a shaman, or with one, you could get Druzhag the beastcaller to give the wargs some extra kick (or bite). I played against him many times with my friend and he is pretty effective, especially if you have some bats or spiders.

I actually was tooling around earlier and wrote this, which MIGHT end up being what I take to NOVA, if only I can find the spiders:

Leader: Druzhag
Warband 1:
Warg Chieftain
9 Wild Wargs
Warband 2:
Warg Chieftain
9 Wild Wargs
Warband 3:
Ashrak
12 Venomback Spiders
Warband 4:
Goblin Captain:
12 Goblins w/ bows
47 models
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd stay away from the beast list. Go for goblins because it's a good list and the beasts are very flakey. You can do well sometimes but often their lack of ability makes them frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Your leader in either list doesn’t seem to be in a Warband. You definitely want some warriors to support your leader otherwise they could get isolated and easily killed in several of the standard scenarios.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry if I jump into the thread but is related to the list posted and the answers:

Are shamans mandatory, at least for Moria Goblin? I try to choose my models according to the fluff of the books and generally of the movies, but I cannot stand shamans for orcs and goblins.

Magic IMHO should be rare only individuals like Eldrond or the Nazgul should have it. This is just my personal opinion and I do not want to influence the army choice of others, is just to say: if I choose to do not deploy shamans with moria and stick to goblins, gundabads, prowlers (that are just smart goblins with THW) trolls and monsters (like dragon or balrog), do I cripple the army totally?

If you think is a derail, I will open another topic but I think is the same - should OP always put shamans in the list?