All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:10 pm

Post subject: Harad - 350 points
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There's a 350 point tournament down at my GW, looking some advice on the army I will be bringing. Never been to a tournament in the 15 years of being in this hobby, so not sure what to expect at all. Any tips appreciated!

What I have so far:

Mumak
Tusk Weapons
4 warriors of Harad with bows
3 warriors of Harad with spears

Are there many armies at 350 points that can deal with a Mumak easily? Should I take less warriors and get a second upgrade? I've only used the Mumak 2 or 3 times so I'm not very experienced with it at all, but thought it would be fun.

Post subject: Re: Harad - 350 points
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mumaks are generally not competative...but for fun, why not?

Their weak point is the Commander: if your enemy can eliminate Might points, then he can charge you first, stopping you cold. Then one wound on the oliphant will force a Courage test...and with ordinary courage and no will, you take your chances on stampeding off the table. Plus, with so few troops, you will break easily, which means more courage tests.

If, however, you get to play Hold Ground...you get to enter Trampling (a rule glitch...it is not a charge)--with the chance to wipe out his archers or a Nazgul or a whole warband and seriously depress your opponent.

Tips: take no upgrades except your Beastmaster (convert one if you have to): the extra Might and higher courage could save the day. Stay at least 8" (better 16") from the table edge. Target heroes (especially Nazguls):Might and Magic will defeat you. Spears are useless in a Howdah, of course.

Alternatively: take Rocks (plus Beastmaster), 2 plain warriors, 2 Warriors of Karna (extra point cost for 3+accuracy is worth it)--and at least everyone can do something... Or just Rocks plus 4 Warriors of Karna (designed for the Mumak, I am convinced) and 3 plain warriors.

And, of course, inexperienced players might just run and you can have fun squashing orcs.

Curious how it goes. Enjoy!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the suggestions, will try them out. From what I can remember my force wouldn't need to test when broken if they are in the howdah? I am sort of betting on there not being much magic. I know it's one of its main weaknesses, but at 350 points hopefully I won't see too much of it. I will go with:

Mumak with Rocks
4 warriors of Karna
3 warriors of Harad

While I like the Beastmaster, it needs to stand at the front of the Howdah with no cover. I would rather not take the chance of him being shot down before being able to do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Watch out for the bow limit of your Haradrim Warriors or watchers of Karna.
Overall the main issues you will face would be your low model count, lack of magic and conventional heroes(Cheiftains, Kings and the named characters)

PS.Watchers of Karna are a great addition and I would recommend them.
8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The list did well at the tournament, thanks for the tips and suggestions. Out of the three games I played, I won High Ground (vs 3 Eagles) and Hold Ground (vs Minas Tirith), and lost in Domination (vs Orcs/Morannon Orcs).

Before the first game I thought stampeding off the board would be how my matches may end, but the chieftain's Courage 4 was enough. Only made 6 tests over the course of 3 games and passed each one without using Might or Will. The rocks hit so hard, well worth the points. I had to explain why I was allowed to reroll the 1s though; most people assumed only arrows could be rerolled. It seemed like bringing a Mumak surprised my opponents and a few of them hesitated charging it, without realizing that the Mumak's Fight Value is actually quite low. Fun games overall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord of Edoras wrote:
I had to explain why I was allowed to reroll the 1s though; most people assumed only arrows could be rerolled.

I thought only poison weapons got the re-roll. Did you re-roll 1s with Rocks? Explain, please.
Lord of Edoras wrote:
It seemed like bringing a Mumak surprised my opponents and a few of them hesitated charging it, without realizing that the Mumak's Fight Value is actually quite low.

Surprise is powerful; congrats on the wins. You can bet that the people you beat have now read about the Fight Value, and how easy the Mumak is to pin down. Sounds like fun games.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

bruceqn wrote:
I thought only poison weapons got the re-roll. Did you re-roll 1s with Rocks? Explain, please.

In the Fallen Realms sourcebook under Mumak upgrades, Rocks are described as a "shooting attack" models in the Howdah may make. Under warrior of Harad's profile, the poison arrow rule states that the re-roll is for rolling To Wound "with shooting attacks".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord of Edoras wrote:
Rocks are described as a "shooting attack"... the poison arrow rule states that the re-roll is for rolling To Wound "with shooting attacks".

Poison Rocks! Yes! I will put pots of green goo next to the Rock Piles in my Howdah for a quick dip before the 'shooting attack'.