All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:33 pm

Post subject: How you implement elite cavalry in your army.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm just wondering from a strategy standpoint, what do you personally think is good?

I consider the heavy or elite cavalry to be Morgul Knights, Knights of Rivendell, Easterlings Kataphrakt Black Dragons, and Knights of Dol Amroth.

Anything you'd like to answer really. # per warband, # per points value, and generally is there a certain amount you always take or make sure to have?

I've only ever really used light or medium cavalry.

Post subject: Re: How you implement elite cavalry in your army.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

far of self experience even with some tourneys I went out there year ago and such, I only field(that just myself) at most 4 per warband and not all... its either just 4 the entire army or 4 per yes and no warband as you keep makig your army lke warband 1 hve 4, warband 2 dont, warband 3 have. or just halve the numbers to make it even like 2/2/2 instead of 4/0/4 (but this really depends on army configuration.

What I´ve learned about elite cav its to either have 2 roles.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the best way to include elite cav would be to either use them as the bulk of the force or to use them as a single warband, rather than spreading them to support other warbands.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

sorry the comp crashed and went to work so couldn´t finish what I was saying.

the 2 roles its either
- support your top heavyweight heroe enhancing his killing roll
- get them to spearhead an attack on an enemy flank while you engage their force with your main.

Although the´re elite and elite within the cav... while some are less likely to use like Rohan Royal guard where 4 goes around nearly 70pts, on other armies, like easterlings, the same equivalent will be used more as they need for being their only cav avail and supporting roles for the lack of diversity(excluding khand which is expensive to afford).

Either people dont take 2 many elite cav as the´re expensive and you will find your army greatly diminished if you field those in mass (unless you come up with a good strategy).
Only exception will be armies like rivendell knights as the army itself limits the usage of other units, so you need to take on knights anyway...
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyone? Its funny....when I debate against using high point elite cavalry everyone seems to argue with me, but when I ask for tips on how, nobody is to be found. lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Heavy cav are generally pretty good in low numbers (1-2 per warband). They seem best supported by infantry or flanking, where the lances and knock to the ground (and/or multiple attacks/impale) can help guarantee some kills on tougher models and help break your opponents line, and the extra defense helps to shrug off a counter charge. The main concern is that lighter cavalry with lances/War spears (Serpent riders/Haradrim raiders/Gondor Knights) are generally going to be more efficient and cut less into your model count, so the only heavy cav I'd really look at running frequently for a more competitive list are Morgul Knights, Sons of Eorl, and Knights of Rivendell, since they each offer something unique from other cavalry that adds a lot of value.

Morgul Knights are excellent with courage reduction to make them more difficult to charge (and thus harder to surround/kill), but you don't want large numbers of them because they cut into model count, and they need to be supported to deal with horde armies and block off surrounds entirely. They can be quite good for spearheading your force to get the game rolling in your favor, particularly against low courage armies where the terror really shines.

Mounted Knights of Dol Amroth with Lances can be quite good as shock cav with Prince Imrahil, since they effectively get 3 dice to win the fight on the charge, though I would take Gondor Knights over them if I'm not going for an all fiefdoms list because they are so much cheaper.

Heavy cav are particularly useful against Dwarves and Gondor, where the lances really help cracking the defense 7.

Against wood Elves and horde armies they are less useful. The str 3 bows from elves negate the armor for the horses, and killing them isn't usually a problem, so the lances aren't as relevant, and against Horde armies, it can be difficult to make your points back with 18+ point cav models, as they are likely to be outnumbered in fights.

Monsters can also be a problem for heavy cav because of hurl knocking them off their horses, but the lances can help a lot with taking down monsters quickly if you are able to trap them, as you still get the extra attack on the charge, so it's generally best to keep them back and avoid the monster(s) until you can otherwise engage the monster and get into a favorable position to charge them in with a hero to get an edge on fight value.
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Personally I have see far to many charges with heavy horse get eaten by infantry formation or waxed by wizards to put much stock in them as anything other than a points sink. Two or three and you might get away with them doing something cheeky once in a game but I can't imagine trying to justify a group of them.