All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 pm

Post subject: Uruk Hai Phalanx (400 points)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey, Isengard have a the unique ability (pretty sure only the Fiefdoms can do this too) to form a phalanx and I want to play around with this. I'm fully aware this isn't exactly competitive but I like the sound of a scary, Death Star-like Uruk warband eating hobbits for breakfast. Here's the rough outline so far:

Uruk Hai Captain (with Shield)
4 Uruk-Hai (with Shield)
8 Uruk-Hai (with Pike)

Shade

Uruk-Hai Shaman (with Armour)
5 Warg Riders (with Shield)

The plan is to plop the phalanx down in between impassable or difficult terrain and turtle up, using the wargs to either flank or protect my sides in a pinch. Casting fury with my shaman for the +6 save on wounds gives my Uruks a little more beef for my buck and I'm hoping to use him and the captain to beat down lesser heros. The shade is there to help win me fights, though I could see myself swapping him out for another captain with yet more Uruks.

I can already see I'm probably going to have a tough time against armies with powerful heroes but I think I should be okay against hordes given my fight value, shade and the sheer number of attacks I'm getting.

Anyway, I'm rambling - any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

In the mirror of doom."
 Post subject: Re: Uruk Hai Phalanx (400 points)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Easterlings can do this too, and have further bonuses: they can use shields with their "pikes" without penalty, AND can move two models when going out of combat, rather than one, meaning they're unlikely to become trapped.

Getting trapped is going to be a problem for you. If your uruk loses combat, he might become trapped as only one model can move back. You're also very suspectable to shooting.

EDIT: According to the most recent errata, Shade only works on Angmar keyword units.
Quote:
Page 128 – Shade – Chill Aura
Replace the Shade’s Chill Aura special rule with the following:
At the start of the Fight phase, before Heroic Actions are declared,
a Shade may spend a point of Will to activate this ability. All
models (both friend and foe) within 6" of one or more Shades
that have activated this ability suffer a -1 penalty to its Duel roll.
This is cumulative with other such penalties, such as for wielding
a two-handed weapon. Friendly Angmar models are not affected
by this special rule.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/faq ... attle-game
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ughhhh, seems this list just straight up won't work. I couldn't find the FAQ's to check for rule changes before I wrote the list sadly. I'll probably drop the shade for feral uruk-hai or something, maybe crossbow/bow support? Also didn't realise (for some reason) that the last pike in my unit would trap the others.

EDIT: I think I'm going to play around with morphing this into a Angmar or Easterling list at some point but for now, I think it's effectively shelved.

Thanks for your suggestions either way!

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You don't need to abandon it altogether, it just needs some tweaking....

If it were me, I'd keep the Captain and his Phalanx, but I'd drop the Shade, the Shaman, and 2 or 3 Warg Riders and replace them with Vrasku and about 8-10 Crossbows....The Shade has been really nerfed, plus, I don't think Isengard and Angmar are either historical or convenient allies. Shamans aren't very good anymore now that Fury has been nerfed quite a bit, and you could also use some shooting.

Something like this would be pretty good:

Captain
4 Shields
8 Pikes

Vrasku
8 Crossbows
2 Bezerkers
2 Warg Riders

I don't have my books in front of me, but that should be right about 400 points. It's a more well rounded list that allows you to deal with lots of different opponents. Plus, by keeping it a pure Isengard list, you get the army bonus re: not breaking until 66%.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Certainly backing up ja33 here. Also, don't take ferals. Berserkers are much better at a similar point cost.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:
You don't need to abandon it altogether, it just needs some tweaking....

If it were me, I'd keep the Captain and his Phalanx, but I'd drop the Shade, the Shaman, and 2 or 3 Warg Riders and replace them with Vrasku and about 8-10 Crossbows....The Shade has been really nerfed, plus, I don't think Isengard and Angmar are either historical or convenient allies. Shamans aren't very good anymore now that Fury has been nerfed quite a bit, and you could also use some shooting.

Something like this would be pretty good:

Captain
4 Shields
8 Pikes

Vrasku
8 Crossbows
2 Bezerkers
2 Warg Riders

I don't have my books in front of me, but that should be right about 400 points. It's a more well rounded list that allows you to deal with lots of different opponents. Plus, by keeping it a pure Isengard list, you get the army bonus re: not breaking until 66%.

Good luck

I actually quite like that list. Seems pretty well-rounded and not too expensive (real-world wise) so that's probably something I could build. Looking through the book, seems Berserkers can choose to not fight two handed now? That's such a massive buff. Saving wounds on a six is pretty sweet too.

I'll see if I can make some adjustments (just for my own tastes) and get back to everyone if I can actually win some games.

In the mirror of doom."