All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:30 pm

Post subject: Re: Fallen Realm Wargear and Bow Limit question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Dr grant I understand your army is good and maybe even the best throwing weapon based unit but realistically not many are. Look at rohan if they move they hit on 5+ and if they face uruks they need a 5 then 6.....odds are horrible....Your elves sound sweet though

Not too sure where you got the idea I use elves from! Pretty much all my experience using Throwing Weapons comes from using Rohan! I've been torn apart enough by Wood Elf throwing weapons (after the Hobbit rules) to know how effective they are but my positive feelings towards them are based on 4+ shoot Rohan.

JamesR claims that 4+ shoot models hit and wound a D5 model 11% of the time when moving (I'm not great with percentages so I'll take his word on this). I run a 650 point all mounted Rohan army with 11 Throwing spears for a 22 point investment. The benefit of mounted Rohan's Throwing weapons over Wood Elves is that they can move up to 10" per turn and still shoot, plus they have an 8" range so can move to outside the charge range of enemy infantry and then throw. This means I can comfortably get 10+ shots off for several turns before I decide to commit to a charge and easily kill a model a turn (and with a bit of luck 2 or 3), the kills certainly add up over the course of a SBG battle (which frequently have 15/20 turns) and they ALWAYS make those 22 points back. It's one of those things that seems weak on paper when you look at the stats but my experience is certainly that they're a worthwhile investment.

That said, your chances obviously slide dramatically if you're facing D6 or above opponents and that's precisely my point. The benefit of throwing weapons (or anything else in SBG) is entirely dependent on your army selection and your opponents army, would I stock up on throwing weapons when facing dwarves? No, would I buy as many as I could muster when facing Wood elves or Goblin Town? Yes. Their effectiveness is strongly dependent on several factors, simply dismissing all Throwing Weapons out of hand as 'not worth it' is far too sweeping a generalisation.

Anyway, far more importantly, it's just ticked over to midnight, Merry Christmas to all on The One Ring, may your stocking be filled with Hobbity treats!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh man I'm on mobile and its messing up with the loading so I guess I read the dudes comment before you and it got confused. I'm all over the place today lol never mind. I'll read the rest of your statement after this

And yeah true depending on the army of course I'd never take them against isengard any normal orc elf or goblin I would

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

a tactic that sometimes works for me is TW and shield. charge, throw weapons, then shield in combat. it works.... in theory.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So its legal to throw a throwing weapon during your move phase right

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:19 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, so long as you charge the model you threw it at.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah sweet. Good to know. I actually forgot that. Damn ive been away from this game long! 5 years....geez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome back to the hobby then!

As I mentioned, we don't use the -1 move/shoot penalty for Thrown Weapons locally. If you do then a force that can do very good with Thrown Weapons ( 3+ hit) becomes good, a good one (4+ hit) becomes fair ( 5+ hit) and fair is poor.

For my Wood Elf army I have and still use them. They have the same Strength as the WEs do in h2h so there's as much chance of getting the Wound with them as there is with your sword, and you have a very good chance of hitting. So with the WEs they can easily earn their points back.

With Rohan it is very enemy dependent as other mentioned. The Rohan army really needs all the options it can get so it's often very much worth taking some, but because of their less effective shooting if your enemy has a high enough D you may just break even on the points.

When I'm playing one of my Evil armies it's a tougher choice. They typically shoot poor to begin with and my opponents are often Dwarves or High Elves so I'm throwing against horrible armor odds. It's not as much of a cut and dry choice. Thankfully the troops and TW options are usually cheap enough where I do get some and I think I usually break even with them. But I would give up the TW option for appropriate upgrades or more troops in many cases if I'm already throwing at 5+. If I had to take the -1 penalty on top of that and knew I needed 5 or 6 to wound after a 6 to hit I would probably never do it.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com