All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:23 pm

Post subject: WOTR Flying monster duels.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,
I just want to check if the following is correct.
A winged nazgul charges an enemy infantry formation that contains a hero. Usually the winged nazgul would strike first as it is a flying monster and the casualties be immediatly removed. However if the enemy hero calls a heroic duel on the nazgul would that be resolved first?

Also, if the above is correct and then the enemy hero manages to slay the nazgul in the duel would it then be removed from play without causing any casualties?

Post subject: Re: WOTR Flying monster duels.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am no WotR expert, but if Duels are resolved before normal combats I would assume that it has presidence here as well.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, duels get resolved in the start of the phase so, baring a heroic fight, the duel will happen before the actual fight and if the Nazgul gets killed in the duel he won't fight.

Now, if the Nazgul player manages to call a Heroic Fight before his opponent can call the duel then the HF will happen first and the formations will end up being separated after that fight which will prevent the duel from happening.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ForgottenLore wrote:
Yeah, duels get resolved in the start of the phase so, baring a heroic fight, the duel will happen before the actual fight and if the Nazgul gets killed in the duel he won't fight.

Now, if the Nazgul player manages to call a Heroic Fight before his opponent can call the duel then the HF will happen first and the formations will end up being separated after that fight which will prevent the duel from happening.

Wow…I need to go back and re-read the order on that one. I know an Heroic Fight happens “first”, but for some reason I was thinking the Duel would just move-up still and be before the Heroic Fight. I really hope the post is correct in that an Heroic Fight would resolve first and, assuming you don’t charge that same formation again, you are now separated and the Duel (part of the normal fight, not the Heroic Fight) does not resolve. It does add a valuable tactic to use against players that have an uber-dueler in a formation with the intention of the dueler doing more damage than the formation itself.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Heroic actions are resolved in the order they were called. The only time this becomes confusing is in the fight phase when a heroic fight creates an opportunity to call "before the formation fights" actions while you are still resolving "at the start of phase" actions. Then you get a sort of nested action sequence.

I'm not sure that clarified matters...

On the subject of canceling the duel, according to the rules even if the heroic fighting formation recharges (or looses the fight) the duel is still going to get canceled since the formations will be separated after the second fight as well.