All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:18 pm

Post subject: (SBG) Elf allies to Gondor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi
I've been gathering a little Gondor force (mainly Minas Tirith, but also Fiefdoms), but I still really want some elves. So far I only know 1 other person who plays LotR, and he plays Harad, but I know he will soon get some Isengard as well. I was thinking of staying with my Gondor army, but with Elven allies. So I want to know which Elves could be an effective addition to Gondor against Haradrim/Uruk-hai. I haven't got the Free Peoples rulebook yet, but I know I has to choose between High Elves, Galadhrim and Wood Elves (right???). I think I will like Wood Elves the most, with throwing daggers and all that being very appealing to me, but heavily armoured High Elves looks awesome too... What do you think?
Any ideas/comments/suggestions are welcome :)
 Post subject: Re: (SBG) Elf allies to Gondor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wood elves would be the most thematic in my opinion especially if you have legolas lead them. It could represent a force after the fall of sauron when legolas lead a group of wood elves down to gondor to help rebuild.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Tough call. Ellethorn makes a good thematic point. Then again, high elves do seem a more natural ally with Gondor, having shared more history and lineage all the way back to the last alliance. An army of high elves would look great and let you field top notch heroes like the Twins.

Still, thematic issues aside, I would go with Galadhrim and wood elves, they're in the same list so you can mix them up. You could go with just wood elves, but I like the Galadhrim sculpts much more. I wouldn't go with high elves for a few reasons. First, you already have a heavily armoured contingent in Gondor. Second, the high elf models are kind of generic, and don't give you much flexibility without a lot of converting: you get armoured bows, armoured blades, and spear + shield; whereas the Galadhrim kit allows for more mixing and matching, and being plastic allows for easier converting (and is cheaper). Third, Galadhrim/WE have other options, like throwing daggers, Sentinels, cavalry, and top-notch elites (GoGC). Fourth, Galadhrim/WE have a nice range of medium to high level combat heroes; whereas the cheapest heroes for high elves are Gildor and Erestor: the first is more a magic user and lacks armour, the second lacks Might.

If you really want a high elf army and you don't plan on playing any tournaments or at GW stores, you could make a high elf army out of the plastic Galadhrim kit...nothing to say they aren't wearing heavy armour. Instead of the orangey armour, use a copper/green wash to distinguish them.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For the gaming, wood elves are very, very nice hit and run troops, especialy with the new upgrade they can use when with Thranduil. Also, galadhrim can for exellent shieldwalls against strength 4 units, 3 attack lines(pikes+spears), def 5, while they can be supported by wood elf archerson the flanks. Wood elf archers are, when you get skilled, another very good unit, able to both shield and use throwing weapons. For heroes, Celeborn as a great fighting hero, thranduil, haldir and legolas for archer heroes, and Rumil is very good at fighting to, with his special rule. One stormcaller is good, for getting the enemy advance slowed down. Some knights can ruin your enemy's plans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you all for the quick answers! I will get the book as soon as possible and go for some wood elves and see how it turns out before I buy a whole army or something :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Though if you would like them to move swiftly, I advise the use of Gildor- moving that extra distance can be a wonderful thing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not sure if I may ask, but do the elves have the option to get 1/2 bow instead of 1/3 like harad?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No they do not, thankfully. 50% Elf bows would be murder in SBG.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agreeing with Gothmog- 50% elf bows on a battlefield would be like having to run across a battlefield with each of your warriors receiving a S3 hit before you reach the enemy lines. Two if it is a bad day for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ellethorn wrote:
Wood elves would be the most thematic in my opinion especially if you have legolas lead them. It could represent a force after the fall of sauron when legolas lead a group of wood elves down to gondor to help rebuild.

And in reaction to whafrog, wood elves did fight in the last alliance.
They didn't have such a big force as the high elves, but they where there. (Thranduil his father was killed there)
The Wood elves didn't have much patience, rushed ahead and where almost completely wiped out.

In reaction to the question of Elessar: Wood elves seems to be the right choice.
The warriors of Minas Tirith have a high defence, use them for close combat.
The wood elves have lower defence but are better at shooting, so use as much wood elf archers as you can.

(Just read the thread and what I just said, was said before -_-")
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Canonically, the most likely Elves to Ally with Gondor are Rivendell Elves, because of their connection to the Rangers and their more wide-reaching outlook. Elrond fought alongside Elendil at the Battle of Dagorlad, so there's a definate connection there. If you're playing with a King Elessar force, then Rivendell will work with them, too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

imrail wrote:
And in reaction to whafrog, wood elves did fight in the last alliance.

Yes, I just meant there was a lot more interaction and history between the elves of Eriador and Gondor than the elves of Mirkwood and elsewhere.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@imrail- A slight historical correction- the woodelves had a HUGE force, comparatively speaking. However, Thranduil's father (Oropher, I believe) was unwilling to await the coming of the alliance and Gil-galad, so he led his force 'numerous but poorly armed' force against the reaches of Mordor. It didn't end prettily, with Oropher and the majority of his nobles and veterans dying, while Thranduil and a comparatively small group made it out alive.