Kinsman
Kinsman

Jars they any good??
 Post subject: Re: Mordor trolls
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

'elo

A little more structure to your question would help. Are they good in games (and SBG vs. WotR makes a difference here...which are you playing?)? Or are they good models to pick up and paint (ie the plastic models vs. the original metals)?

Just assuming you mean good in game in SBG, I personally think they can be if you ddin't invest too many points in big Heroes as well. You need troops. If you have mostly lower cost Heroes (maybe one big one) and standard troops your force probably has enough of a model count where a Mordor Troll can be useful. They can be real effective as such if used right. I don't want to dive deep in that unless this is the question.

If you mean playing in WotR...no, not really unless you REALLY have extra points or you get 2-3 of them.

Either way, a Troll Chief is a better alternative if you can manage the points.

If I'm way off on the question let us know...

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

A massive troll - scary, high defence, strong. Mainly a deterent to the oposing player. It is a put off seeing a warband with a troll included. Worth the points in my opinion. Depending oin the size of your army i would just have one or two, no more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sorry for being a bit brief
are mordor trolls an good in sbg. in more expensive games and lower
thanks you both answered my question

what about having 3 or so in a 1000+ game or is it just a complete waste
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1 maybe in 1000pts. Way I see it, for its points I can get lots more troops which will probably do more. They are a handy distraction though, good for taking out mid level heroes like faramir, gildor etc. troll chieftains are very good value.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay thanks for the help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In SBG a Mordor (and Isengard) Troll can be very effective as long as you don't compromise your force much to get it. Almost never under 500 points, and probably not until 750 if you are bringing more than standard Orcs and medium price Heroes.

But if you do bring one keep it near a Captain at least or some other Hero. The Troll and Hero together, with the Hero calling an Heroic Combat and the Troll participating, can punch a hole in many front line forces. The two together can be a great team. Keep a few troops around to support things and help draw off opponents that might try to surround the Troll.

A lot of it will depend on your play style and your opponents as well though. Give it a try. Some opponents / armies do a good job repelling a Troll while others will be more susceptible to its advantages. But a lot of it will depend on your play and army.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
They are a handy distraction though, good for taking out mid level heroes like faramir, gildor etc

There is no way that a Troll can take out Gildor. He can just immobilize it and the job is done.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I beg to differ. Gildor and 8 elves couldn't even wound an immobilised troll when I played against chris the other day.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The guys on BOW (Beasts of War) have a term: Shiny. It means something that draws your opponent's attention, a distraction. trolls can be effective in this role as they are impressively large and menacing, and they can thump a few people if they get the opportunity. Think outside the box a little. It might work for you!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Constantine wrote:
There is no way that a Troll can take out Gildor. He can just immobilize it and the job is done.

One of the things I like about SBG is that these kinds of absolute statements aren't true. I mean, the best you get for a chance to wound is 67%, which means even Lobelia can survive a Balrog. Pretty low odds of that, but I've rolled worse...

The odds in this case are iffy. Gildor against a Cave Troll seems pretty solid: Immobilizing and wounding on a 5 should give him some advantage at least at first. But if he runs out of Will before the troll is dead, the odds swing back to the troll: more attacks (better chance of a 6), even Fight, and a soft target.

Mordor Troll is worse, because Gildor wounds on a 6, and when he runs out of Will he has fewer attacks, lower fight, and is really soft.

Gildor + enough elves to make equal points is better, and should be able to handle the cave troll even without Will, but if the Mordor Troll can't be Immobilized, look out.

In a real game you wouldn't want them to go toe-to-toe unless you can bring numbers to bear, but then it's down to how well you and your opponent juggle your warriors.

That's all a very long-winded way of saying that "no way" doesn't really apply in this game :)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog nailed it. A Mordor Troll vs. a solid Hero and some supporting Elves will probably not last, but there's no guarantee either way and the Troll may do some serious damage in the process.

Likewise, a player that lets their Troll get in that situation to begin with is probably not playing the Troll well.

If the Troll cripples your force size, it's a mistake (they are best supporting armies with lots of base troops and reasonable points in Heroes)
If the Troll is a key factor in your strategy, you're probably setting yourself up for failure.
If you're building a tournament army (maximize points to win at all costs) then the Troll is probably not the right choice.
If you are excited about playing the large (cool looking!) model and develop a feel for staying flexible on the battlefield then you can have some successful games using it...successful both in terms of fun and victory.

I do recommend you consider a Troll Chief though. Fits the Hero role and is a far more effective model in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whafrog I stand convinced, you are right there is no absolute in the game. Sadly even Lobelia can survive a Balrog's attack...