All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: Mines of Moria for new players
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all,

I am wondering how the boxset "Mines of Moria" is for brand new players to the hobby. My wife has shown a little bit of an interest in learning more about table top, but I play Warhammer Fanasty and it is just too much for her to learn. Fantasy is too far removed from your typical board game, and she becomes overwhelmed.

Her biggest issues are:

- the play area is too big
- there are too many attacks (too many dice to throw at one time)

WF doesn't scale down well to really small point battles.

The heart of the question is: "Is this a good game to help expose her to the table top style games?"

All comments appreciated, I probably only got one more kick at the can before I scare her off completely

Thanks
 Post subject: Re: Mines of Moria for new players
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd say yes it is. It comes with all the rules you need, and 4 scenarios from the movie that are small in nature, not too many models to move. Give her the fellowship, less for her to do :) If you're thinking of building a goblin army, it's also probably the best deal going, since you get goblins, a troll, and all the rules. If you want to build out later you can get the Moria and Angmar book for other options.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes. The MoM box is perfect for introducing new players to tabletop gaming. You get characters that people are familiar with and a ruleset that is easy to learn but has great strategic depth, perfect for beginners and tabletop veterans.

I've played Warhammer and 40K for 20 years, I bought the MoM box about 18 months ago to get my non-gaming friends playing and have probably played more LoTR in that time than WHBF and 40K put together. It's a superb system.

I tried it on the GF, but it was a bit of a failure. She's wasn't very happy when I killed Sam and stopped playing entirely when I killed Gandalf. She is hyper-competitive when playing games though, and did once stab me in the leg with a Blokus piece because I was winning.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Though you might want to hold off a week or two, to see what GW puts out for the hobbit. I've heard that the MoM box is no longer being shipped.....So maybe there's a new boxset coming out? ( on Dec 1)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is an interesting point... I hate holding off on anything - especially when I feel I could be so close to living the dream. Casual gaming right at my home.

Thanks for everyones responses so far

Cheers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

AcasualDream wrote:
I hate holding off on anything - especially when I feel I could be so close to living the dream. Casual gaming right at my home.

Amen to that.

I feel the time is right when The Hobbit is released and a new MoM like set is released to try and lure my girlfriend in as well :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Games Workshop Manchester has just posted on its facebook page that tomorrow is the last day that the mines of moria boxset will be available
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh the pressure.... I am going to swing by my local store and make sure that they got a few copies of Mine of Moria in stock, just in case I don't like the new box set.

I do have high hope though, because GW has really been raising the bar on there box sets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I would say absolutely yes (but as others have hinted you might want to grab a set quick before it disappears tomorrow), it's a great starter. The board space required for the main scenario is only 18" square and it's an iconic moment from the book.

When I got back into the hobby 2 years ago all my gaming buddies had lost interest, all I had were a bunch of friends, most of whom liked LOTR, that had never tried nor been interested in wargaming before.

LOTR was perfect for getting them into it, I always start someone off with the Balin's Tomb scenario from the Fellowship journey book and then move onto Weathertop, Amon Hen, Lothlorien etc. New gamers love it as they recognise the characters from the film and enjoy recreating the scenes.

As others have said, give her the Fellowship, it's more fun to play with and just keep it light hearted and fun, I find it really helps to put the soundtrack on in the background too! :-)

I've now got a group of about 7 friends, all of whom love playing the game but none of whom have ever been interested in wargaming or own their own figures. I've never been able to convert people to Warhammer (on which I've now completely given up) with anywhere near the success rate of LOTR.

Its a brilliant system, that's easy to learn but very tough to truly master with some great tactical depth - I hope she likes it!

P.S. I must confess, I've tried it on the wife but as of yet she's resisted, fingers crossed the Hobbit finally converts her!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I am crushed, went to pick up a copy of Mines of Moria before they were all gone and I am too late :(

The new news of the day though is, new box set arrives 1st week of Dec. He wouldn't tell me the whole title, but it is "The Hobbit, something something something"

I am going to stay optimistic because the quality of "Dark Vengeance" for 40k was unparalleled. Sad that I miss out on a copy of Mines though...