All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 am

Post subject: Dwarfs from Erebor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello, i am a little new to The Hobbit strategy game. I have been playing a little from the old rulebook with a friend but after the hobbit i have decided to start my own army and since i like dwarfs i am going with that.

This is the army list i have thought out, it is 750 points and although dwarfs from erebor has not been released yet i will proxy my old dwarfs(my friend is ok).

The reason that i like The hobbit strategy game is that it has more strategy in my opinion over warhamer fantasy. In fantasy you have huge units that charge and do battle, but in the hobbit you can form shieldwalls, schiltroms and simmilair tactics that is not possible in fantasy.

My plan with this list is to split it in 2 groups of warriors with spears behind. Thorin will be leading one of the groups. Fili and Kili will be guarding the left flank with one group(group without Thorin) Between the 2 groups of warriors there will be a gap about 2-4 bases big. The captain with 2 spearmen supporting him will close the gap when enough enemy soldiers are in(cannae)The Grim hammers will together with Dwalin form 2 groups and charge from the right flank to hit the enemies in their left flank sides and try to also hit the enemy from behind(one of the groups).

What do you think?

Warband-223
Thorin, Oakenshield Orcrist, The oakshield, 12 Warriors of Erebor, 12 Shields

Warband-110
Fili the Dwarf, Kili the Dwarf-110

Warband-185
Captain of erebor with shield,12 Warriors of Erebor, 12 Shields, 12 Spear

Warband-227
Dwalin, 12 Grim Hammers
 Post subject: Re: Dwarfs from Erebor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I know almost nothing for the new Dwarf units. My only general tactical advice is the following: do not have a rigid strategy. In battle even the best strategy can collapse when the lines clash.
You should always try to be as flexible as you can (within the limits of your army). This will is reflected in one's army list. Which brings me back to the fact that I have no knowledge of the newest Dwarves to advice you...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You have clearly built your list with the old rules in mind (I.E The whole thing is engineered towards there being two lines clashing). With these new rules you have to remember that A: There now has to be alot of terrain, and B: The new scenarios will have your army split up and separated over the table.

Building an army around a complex strategy, like you have, will fail 90% of the time, not only because these new rules will have your force split up, but also because your enemy will have equally well thought out strategies to implement against you. A single sorcerous blast could ruin your battle line, and because you have got a 2" gap in it. Generally you should create warbands that have in-built strategies, for example, a warband of 3 grim hammers, 6 spear dwarves, and 3 shield dwarves means that you will be getting the 'best of both worlds', so to speak. Your warband of spearmen could deploy miles away from your troops and leave them unsupported for all you know, so mixing troops together is never anything but a positive.

In regards to the Fili/Kili combo; as stated before, they could deploy anywhere on the map for all you know, and this is a huge risk in that this might mean being able to capture an objective by deploying them on it, but at the same time presents the massive risk of them becoming easy targets for the enemy early game.

Also maybe swap the captain for Balin? You already have alot of might and the priority re-rolls could come in very handy.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thorin's dwarf are a from a other fraction called Thorin's company, while the erebor dwarf arn't. If your friend doesn't mind it's oke but otherwise...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lays wrote:
Thorin's dwarf are a from a other fraction called Thorin's company, while the erebor dwarf arn't. If your friend doesn't mind it's oke but otherwise...

Actually, some of the Dwarves in Thorin's Compabny are in the Erebor army as well. See rulebook pg 194

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I don't know Contstantine... We play with just as much terrain as the game demands, we roll out our scenarios all the time... and I've found that deployment and rules encourage a massive deployment near the middle of the field and a large generalized melee. Archery has been SEVERELY crippled, not just cause of rules, but also preponderance of terrain and the VERY limited space between armies from the outset of the battle. So even if I find the army has too few models for my taste, a lot depends on the opponents he will be facing.