All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:20 am

Post subject: New to SBG. Help with starting an elven army!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi!
After playing alot of mordheim with my friends I found that I really like skirmish styled games, AS LONG as they contain elves!

So I'm thinking about getting into the hobbit/lotr sbg and need help with what to buy first :) So do you guys have any advice?

Also, can I in my army combine all the units in the Free Peoples-rulebook?

Happy newbie christmas ;)

If you live in Stockholm and want to play a match or two, just PM me :)
 Post subject: Re: New to SBG. Help with starting an elven army!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kreakatar wrote:
Hi!
After playing alot of mordheim with my friends I found that I really like skirmish styled games, AS LONG as they contain elves!

So I'm thinking about getting into the hobbit/lotr sbg and need help with what to buy first :) So do you guys have any advice?

All "good" factions can be allied with one another as well as all evil faction can ally with themselves (thus you can't have evil and good allied). You would need heroes to lead each of the troops of the different faction as the warband rule requires 1 hero from that faction leading between 0-12 soldiers from their same faction. So for example you had Elrond, Haldir, Balin, and the Paladin Took you could make a list like this and it would be legal: (Keep in mind this is an example not necessarily how you would want to build an army to be competitive).

Edit: Even though they start out in different warbands you can reposition them so that spears from the High Elves can support the Galadhrim.

Elrond
- 8 High Elf with Spearmen and shield
- 4 High Elf with Bows

Haldir
- 4 Galadhrim with Shields
- 4 Galadhrim with Elven Blades
- 4 Wood Elves with Bow

Balin
- 4 Vault Warden Team

Paladin Took
- 6 hobbit Sheriffs
- 3 Hobbit Militia
- 3 hobbit archers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Curufinwë wrote:
Kreakatar wrote:
Hi!

All "good" factions can be allied with one another as well as all evil faction can ally with themselves (thus you can't have evil and good allied). You would need heroes to lead each of the troops of the different faction as the warband rule requires 1 hero from that faction leading between 0-12 soldiers from their same faction. So for example you had Elrond, Haldir, Balin, and the Paladin Took you could make a list like this and it would be legal: (Keep in mind this is an example not necessarily how you would want to build an army to be competitive).

Edit: Even though they start out in different warbands you can reposition them so that spears from the High Elves can support the Galadhrim.

Elrond
- 8 High Elf with Spearmen and shield
- 4 High Elf with Bows

Haldir
- 4 Galadhrim with Shields
- 4 Galadhrim with Elven Blades
- 4 Wood Elves with Bow

Balin
- 4 Vault Warden Team

Paladin Took
- 6 hobbit Sheriffs
- 3 Hobbit Militia
- 3 hobbit archers

Thank you for explaining the rules :)

However, I still need some help with what miniatures to get first to start an elven army. Any recommendations? :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all you need to buy the Free Peoples sourcebook, but I assume you already own a copy.
Then, it depends on your focus. If you prefer a competitive army, or simply an army that appeals to you. Additionally whether you prefer Wood Elves (Lothlorien, Mirkwood), or High Elves (Eregion, Rivendell).
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Constantine wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all you need to buy the Free Peoples sourcebook, but I assume you already own a copy.
Then, it depends on your focus. If you prefer a competitive army, or simply an army that appeals to you. Additionally whether you prefer Wood Elves (Lothlorien, Mirkwood), or High Elves (Eregion, Rivendell).

Thank you :)

Havent got the sourcebook or the rulebook yet, will be picking up that after christmas.

It seems to me that the high elves are very limited in their choices for troops, atlest they have very few different troops on the webstore :/

So I guess I'm more into the wood elves :P Atleast they have more and, to me, cooler looking units ^^ Like the look of galadhrim cavalry :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Have a look at the new high elf cavalry though, they look pretty awesome and have some good rules too.

That said, starting with wood elves and gahladrim is good. I'd look at the sentinels in particular, they have some interesting effects.

Also, WELCOME!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Its all about what you want from your army, as in their strengths and weaknesses. There is just somethng psychologically intimidating about going against an Elven army because of their archery. They are the best marksmen and have the best (all-around) bows. My recommendation for starting your army is to focus on that. With the rules only 33% of your troops may carry a bow but if your force is tailored to it thats more than enough.
Of course you choose who to purchase but I'd recommend Legolas as your first hero (can't go wrong with him), he is the only hero who may shoot THREE times in one turn which is pretty spectacular. If you decide not to go with him Thranduil would be my next choice personally, because he has a 2+ shoot value ad can upgrade all your archers' shoot values as well. Also both their points costs are relatively low for Elves

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JamesR wrote:
Its all about what you want from your army, as in their strengths and weaknesses. There is just somethng psychologically intimidating about going against an Elven army because of their archery. They are the best marksmen and have the best (all-around) bows. My recommendation for starting your army is to focus on that. With the rules only 33% of your troops may carry a bow but if your force is tailored to it thats more than enough.
Of course you choose who to purchase but I'd recommend Legolas as your first hero (can't go wrong with him), he is the only hero who may shoot THREE times in one turn which is pretty spectacular. If you decide not to go with him Thranduil would be my next choice personally, because he has a 2+ shoot value ad can upgrade all your archers' shoot values as well. Also both their points costs are relatively low for Elves

It doesnt seem like GW sells Legolas as a lone blister? So I'm thinking buying the wood elves pack and Thranduil as my first warband. Does that sound like a good start?

Also, is it enough to get the rulebook that comes with the escape from goblin town or is it necessary to get that big expensive hardback rulebook? :S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Kreakatar wrote:
So I'm thinking buying the wood elves pack and Thranduil as my first warband. Does that sound like a good start?

That is a good start, along with a command blister and some Sentinels. Just a warning though, wood elves are a bit tricky to play since they don't have armour. But they are very rewarding to learn. You just have to maximize your shooting, use of terrain, and picks fights with better odds.

Kreakatar wrote:
Also, is it enough to get the rulebook that comes with the escape from goblin town or is it necessary to get that big expensive hardback rulebook? :S

All the elf profiles you'll care about are in the Free Peoples book, so the rule book in the goblin town set is enough (except that rulebook doesn't have point costs for any of the models in its own set... :roll: )
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

whafrog wrote:
Kreakatar wrote:
So I'm thinking buying the wood elves pack and Thranduil as my first warband. Does that sound like a good start?

That is a good start, along with a command blister and some Sentinels. Just a warning though, wood elves are a bit tricky to play since they don't have armour. But they are very rewarding to learn. You just have to maximize your shooting, use of terrain, and picks fights with better odds.

Kreakatar wrote:

All the elf profiles you'll care about are in the Free Peoples book, so the rule book in the goblin town set is enough (except that rulebook doesn't have point costs for any of the models in its own set... :roll: )

Ok, I dont feel like buying the hardback rulebook just because of how they are doing it ATM. Not including points costs and the new units in the starter set rulebook but having them in the hardback rulebook is just silly. Especially since it costs more than say the newely released 40K book. If I get the sourcebook and the hardback and a wood elves unit thats about 90-100 €. And that's just to start the hobby. When I started warhammer a year ago I got the Island of blood, with all the rules and models I wanted, plus my army book for that price.

So I will get the woodelfs, Thranduil and the sentinels to start with modelwise and the sourcebook from GW and the softcover rulebook from ebay. Someone must be selling the softcover after christmas :)

Sorry for being negative in this post. It's just that I love the hobby but it's a bit frustrating when you don't have that much money and GW is not playing a fully fair game. I'm not usually a GW hater :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Someone must be selling the softcover after christmas :)

They are selling it already. I am positive I saw some copies being auctioned today.
Let us know how your army turns out :-D
I love the Wood Elf Sentinels models, it's a shame my funds don't allow me to purchase miniatures other than my main army. :sad:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I started my first WIP ever!! :D

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24603