All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:32 pm

Post subject: Help with painting gandalf the white and shadowfax please.:)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Being "relatively" new to painting, (I started when Lord of the Ring Strategy Battle Game came out originally, but didn't have the correct paints so, my younger self lose patience and put my stuff in the attic. Have recently in the last year or so began painting warhammer fantasy and 40k with not too bad results) I have decided to open up the old box of figures. While I find now that I can paint most characters and troops (with a bit of help with this great community. 8) ) the one character I have trouble with is my Gandalf the White on foot and mounted. Its specifically the inner recesses of the clothes that stump me as I have painted white before when I painted my War Hounds for 40k.
I guess what I'm asking is can anybody either tell me how or direct me to a place that can figure out how to paint this bane of my painting hobby. :roll:
Thanking the community in advance,
MorganT

Post subject: Re: Help with painting gandalf the white and shadowfax pleas
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A white undercoat will make it alot easier. White is always a tricky colour to paint, I normally do white robes by using washes of light beiges (like Bleached Bone) or light Greys (like Space Wolf Grey or Astronomicon Grey), rehilight the edges white, then shade the very recesses darker browns or greys.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Rabid Bunny wrote:
A white undercoat will make it alot easier. White is always a tricky colour to paint, I normally do white robes by using washes of light beiges (like Bleached Bone) or light Greys (like Space Wolf Grey or Astronomicon Grey), rehilight the edges white, then shade the very recesses darker browns or greys.

That's what I was thinking because with my War Hounds I gave them a white undercoat then a heavy Nuln Oil wash then touched back up the white areas.:)
I presume when you say bleached bone wash that u just add water to your brush when the paint is on it and use as a wash??:)
My one problem with browns and greys is that you can clearly see in the movies that he is primarily creams and whites.:/
My plan for shadowfax however is to base him with light grey, wash with light grey also then highlight the white parts white.:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That sounds like a good plan. The thing is, if you stick to light colours, he will lack definition. Otherwise, i'd only use the browns (I wouldn't go darker than Calthan) in the recesses. The best way is to do the bleached bone wash (by watering it down) and see what it looks like, you might not need to do any more to it.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll see how it turns out sure when I get him and if I can figure out how to upload a picture on the site I'll put it up.:)