All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:46 pm

Post subject: Question re Citadel new range and old figures
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone.

My wife and I decided to take a look into this game after seeing The Hobbit and being big fans of the previous films too. At this stage we were thinking of just getting a couple of figures that we would like to paint up and expand from there.

My question however is many of the tutorials and information for Lord of the Rings is based off an older paint range (after doing a bit of research I found that out) and was wondering does the basic conversion chart they provide work as a good guide to follow?

The only reason I ask is it seems they have provided more in the range of base paints, layers, washes etc where before this wasn't the case. If I use the conversion chart do I then just follow a new guide and see what the layer is for that particular color?

At this stage we were looking at just painting Bilbo and Sam.

Thanks in advance
 Post subject: Re: Question re Citadel new range and old figures
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hello

well the conversion chart isn't exact to the old colours so if you do use it the colours may appear a little different, nothing too noticeable but they give you the idea of what it is supposed to be.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well say for example I wanted to start by painting Frodo. Where would I find some ideas of the appropriate colors to use in the new range? Any of the older articles I find or tutorials seem to have been done prior to this new range and seem to mention more mixing rather than using the various layer paints now available.

I hope that made sense, i just want to clear this up for myself first before taking on a painting project for the first time!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

SteelCalavera wrote:
Well say for example I wanted to start by painting Frodo. Where would I find some ideas of the appropriate colors to use in the new range? Any of the older articles I find or tutorials seem to have been done prior to this new range and seem to mention more mixing rather than using the various layer paints now available.

I hope that made sense, i just want to clear this up for myself first before taking on a painting project for the first time!

As a veteran of the old paints and only just coming back to the fold as a painter again quite recently I found that essentially the new paints offer "short-cuts" for techniques that used to require a deal of patience, ratio balance or skill.

For example, my old Fall of the Necromancer still goes on about mixing inks with particular measures of acrylics for use as washes, which is what I used to do, but now GW actually have premade washes available (that work much better, I must admit.)

Similarly, the technique of glazes is one that is now much easier due to the new range of "glazes" paints released by Citadel. I have found that following the new guides for flesh colours works best when using the newer paints (as they seem to use a more direct staged system now). For more specific details, I have found the old guides still work if you use the equivalent paints for the old ones (yes, to me, the colour balance does occasionally seem off, but I am a perfectionist who has used this particular sourcebook for quite some time and I have older models to compare it with)

I hope this helps clarify some of the issues. :)

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you can get to a GW store they might have some handy painting cards that list which paints you need for a prticular figure. If you can afford it, their new painting book is pretty useful, and has some good colour combinations in the examples they show and in handy chart at the back of the book.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the replies. I think it is just 'new painter jitters' I just want to get things right. For example looking at Frodo's jacket for instance. I had no idea from the new paints which 'brown' i should be looking for and working up.

I did have a look in store at that book you mentioned and saw 'warm brown' and a 'yellow brown' and each of those had four or five steps to go from there so I was a bit apprehensive.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I understand where you're coming from as well. I have a few armies that have a rather consistent look to them. I'm afraid of what to do with them when I start running out of specific colors that were used. I haven't looked at all at the new paints yet but am getting very low on some of my stock. So pretty soon I'll be asking "what's the new Codex Grey and Snakebite Leather", for example.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have found that the new paints I have used are a pretty good match to the old ones.

The most common paints I've used are: Mournfang Brown instead of Bestial Brown, Rhinox Hide instead of Scorched Brown and Uhsabti Bone instead of Bleached Bone. All of these provide very good matches to the old colours and fit in perfectly well with my existing armies so no complaints from me.

I think there may be some collectors who notice a difference and some paints will match better than others but they will only show up when directly compared to each other. If you are starting from scratch then the new version of each colour will be more than good enough for your needs.

As a final note don't be put off by the way the colours look on the conversion chart, most of the paints bear little or no resemblance to those colours, just trust the names of the paints. This is why if I'm buying a new colour I will always go in store to make sure it's the right hue rather than ordering it from the website based on the chart colours.

Hope this helps

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
I have found that the new paints I have used are a pretty good match to the old ones.

The most common paints I've used are: Mournfang Brown instead of Bestial Brown, Rhinox Hide instead of Scorched Brown and Uhsabti Bone instead of Bleached Bone. All of these provide very good matches to the old colours and fit in perfectly well with my existing armies so no complaints from me.

So there is a conversion chart (sorry if this is a silly question...I just haven't had to look into it yet)? Or do you just take in an old bottle and look for a new one that is pretty close in color?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep, to be fair to them they did provide that as a downloadable pdf which is pretty handy, it be here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =21600002a

As I said, go by the names, not the colours, you'll quickly see that the old colours look nothing like the ones on the chart!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Got it. Thanx!