All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:04 pm

Post subject: Which books to I need to buy?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have finished buying figures (well, nearly..) and No. 1 son is getting interested in fighting a couple of battles again. So far we've only done simple fights with the MoM figures and rules, but we will want to use the rest of the figures at some point. The question is, which books to I need to get all the profiles and special rules to cover what we've got? I know a bunch of them are covered in the MoM book, and I'm not bothered if they've been updated unless there's a significant change that makes it worth buying a whole book. We have:

Isengard Uruk-hai, wargs, warg-riders, orcs and Dunlendings;
Gondor WoMT, KoMT, KoDA, MAAoDA, Blackroot Vale archers, Rangers, Rangers of the North;
Rohan foot and mounted, outriders, Royal Guard;
Mordor uruks, trolls, orcs
Dwarves Iron Guard, 'normal' dwarves;
Elves High elves on foot
Minas Morgul Uruks, Orcs, Easterlings, Haradrim foot and mounted, Mumak, Corsairs;
Moria Goblins, Balrog.

Plus a suitable range of heroes and captains.

I expect to make some Ents, but haven't got round to that yet. I also think we'll have the Escape from Goblin town box within the next 24 hours, once I've convinced myself it's worth the cash.

Post subject: Re: Which books to I need to buy?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

All the profiles and special rules of LOTR figures are listed in "Sourcebooks". There are sourcebooks for Mordor, The Free Peoples (Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Ents), Kingdoms of Men (Gondor, Rohan, Fiefdoms, Arnor, Numenor), Moria & Angmar and The Fallen Realms (Isengard, Haradhrim, Easterlings, Khand).

If you want to cover all your models i'm afraid you'd need all :P.
I suggest to at first buy a sourcebook of the good and evil factions you like to play with the most or the ones you got the most models of ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Short answer? All of them. You have armies from each of the 5 sourcebooks. A copy of the hobbit rules is advisable but if it is only you and your son then that isn't as important. But the lotr sourcebooks will have all the profiles and their rules in.

Dammit Bart :P beat me too it.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was afraid of that!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

For the models you've listed you'd need all five sourcebooks, which can be rather expensive, especially if buying all in one go. (I lessened the shock and pain of spending so much money by spreading out the purchases... :? )

For Gondor and Rohan, as well as Fiefdoms, Arnor and Numenor you'd need The Kingdoms of Men.
For your Elves and Dwarves you'd need The Free People's. This also includes the Fellowship, Ents and Eagles, etc.

On the Evil side you've got three sourcebooks: Moria & Angmar, Mordor and The Fallen Realms. The first two are self-explanatory, the last contains rules for Isengard, Harad & Umbar, and the Eastern Kingdoms.

Which you buy first is entirely dependent on which factions you play most.

I'd recommend the Free People's book as it contains a wide variety of forces. But then you do mention having quite a lot of Gondor, Rohan etc... the trouble with having such well developed forces and making the transition to warbands is knowing where to start unfortunately :P

I'll leave the decision to you, as I say it all comes down to which book you'd get the most out of. Best wishes, hope this has helped :)

EDIT: Beaten by both Bart and Southy? :o oh deary me... :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you only want the points, stats and special rules, they can be found on Lonely Knight's army builder

1. select the units you want
2. scroll to the end 2 pages of the document (called evil and good army lists)
3. scroll down
4 then you should see the special rules and stuff
:)