All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Long Time Lurker First time Poster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

I've read your posts as reference for years and this site is an excellent resource for LOTR Fans like myself.

It's especially useful finding the rare poses, models as I've been lucky enough to pick up a lot of LOTR in the last few months and your site is invaluable.

Got lucky with a massive haul today and am going to trawl through this site as there are a number of poses and miniatures (one is a weird harad) that might help me id them.

I tried to embed the image but no joy

Last edited by LotrHunter on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Long Time Lurker First time Poster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to the site! For adding images from photobucket, if you click on the picture it should give u four options on the right side of the screen. If you click the bottom one which says Image or IMG then paste that full code here It will display your picture

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You also have to post a few times so the site is sure it is not spam 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Like most people around these parts, I lurked for a while - getting to know the layout. This is the friendliest and most helpful Middle-earth minis and games site of the bunch. Welcome!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome! I am very jealous of your find...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks guys -

I did a 500 mile round trip to pick up that LOTR stuff - felt like Frodo travelling up to mount doom (i'd had no sleep the night before) and the drive back was done on pure 'I wonder what I've got' adrenaline.

I did miss out on 40+ blisters but tbh I checked them and thanks to One-Ring it wasn't difficult watching someone pay 300+ for them. I think I got the good stuff.

I'm looking forward to the next decade where the people who played this heavily in the mid-2000's hit their 30's and realise they want to collect it again. The models simply are the best.

I re-watched the extended trilogy last week - 'Got Him', 'Need him', 'Got that scene', 'Got him, in 3 poses' . Great hobby (beats fishing!)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome to the site! Im sure everyone lurked before posting but there really is no need to the people on here are the best and kindest hobbyists ;) Also, how did ou come across such a trawl of models? Car boot sales always seem to be useless to me and my best find was on ebay when someone knew nothing about his miniatures from the loft and i paid just 145 including p+p and i ended up with 2 mumaks, fellbeasts finecasts and actually totaled up to 4 3ft boxes? You may just live in better parts?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dom,

Sadly the place I got them wasn't near me so it was quite the journey. Sounds like you got a bargain on ebay, something I've not done yet, although I did snipe a GW case for 20 quid once that I picked up and was full to the brim with metal orcs.
Tbh I got mega lucky with this lot, and I would have gotten even luckier if the auction I went to hadn't had internet bidding. I was sat there watching 13 boxes full of unopened GW, flames of war, warhammer, old Ral patha and Judge dredd and LOTR. The old people there to buy dinky, britains, corgi and old hornby weren't even giving them a glance. I thought I'd hit the luckiest day of my hunting but sadly when the first lot was called people had clearly found what I had.
I ended up picking up all of the LOTR (minus 40+ Blisters) and the war hammer - it's not ideal though since you end up paying another 21% on top of the hammer price. These don't turn up boxed often and as issued so I had to get them - I was lucky, got some weird and wonderful old box sets and scenes - 47 LOTR boxsets in total.
I've had zero luck at car boots for lead miniatures etc.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i never thought about auctions, are there specific auction houses that specify in models or jusdt a hit and miss at any auction? Also maybe pop me a pm with some bits you have and if there are some you dont want we could always do your first TOR trade? ;)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is what I got -

Big Game Boxes = Mines of Moria, Un Jeu De Batailles, Fellowship of the Rings, Return of the King.

Normal boxes = Mordor Troll/Isenguard Troll, Khandish King in Chariot, Warriors of Harad, Gondor Battle Cry Trebuchet, Captured by Gondor, Galadhrim Knights, Ringwraith on Fellbeast, Treebeard Mighty Ent, Ent (think it's lightbeam from the books if I remember his name correctly), Mounted Ringwraiths, Morgul Knights, Uruk-Hai Siege troops, Ambush at Amon-Hen, Attack at Weathertop, Dwarf Warriors, Warriors of Minas Tirith, Easterling Kataphrakt, Easterling Orientaux, Battle at Kazad-dum, Balin and Kazad Guard, Warg attack, Scouring the Shire, Guardians of the Shire, Troll Cheiftain, Uruk Siege assault ballista, Fog on the BarrowDown, Gulavhar 'Terror of arnor', The Breaking of the Fellowship, Sauron the Necromancer, Army of the Dead, Corsairs of Umbar, Murmak of Harad, Paint set (SBG), Rangers of Middle earth, Sauron Lord of the Ring, Great beast of Gorgoroth (checked the finecast, its ok), In the clutches of shelob, Return of the King Paint set, Heroes of helms deep, Escape from Orthanc, Knights of minas tirith.

Blisters = Serpent Guard and Gundabad blackshield company

I also have 300+ metals I'm sorting through (got 600+ upstairs I have to go through and a lot are on bases so ID'ing is fun) Thankfully this site is really useful. Someone already has first dibs on the Serpent Guard.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Pm me ASAP !! Trade?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. That's awesome. Congrats.

I could never hold onto models for the concept of resell later. I'm just not wired that way. I would have pulled over at the first good coffee shop and just tearing into things. :-)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the site. There are several collectors here who like me have been in the hobby since it first began 12 years ago. You are amongst good company.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome, it's a great community on this site, any questions just ask

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks guys, very friendly bunch. I'm not so much holding onto them to resell, more holding on to them because they're boxed and I tend to try and collect as many metal figures as I can. It's a strange one, I'm a painter at heart and former war-gamer/role player (back in the days of Rogue Trader and Ral Patha Dragonlance) but these mini's are so well made I just can't stop buying them.

Can someone tell me if they are doing a magazine release with mini's attached for the DOS? I haven't seen anything from Deagostini...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I sincerely doubt it. There wasn't one for An Unexpected Journey. It would not be a viable product these days. Single miniature prices have tripled since the original deagostini mags so no way many people would pay 12 - 15 pounds every two weeks for a magazine and figure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Makes sense, trying to keep up with all the new figures hitting the shelves is difficult. What wasn't difficult was deciding if I should move into finecast after seeing how much they are new for one figure! Apart from buying Escape from Goblin Town today I think that's my foray into finecast done and dusted - I much prefer working with metal and plastic.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There is no finecast in Escape from Goblin Town. It is entirely plastic :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yes, that's why I got it primarily. When I opened my Great beast of Gorgoroth it was with trepidation after seeing some of the casting horrors I've seen on the net. Gladly though it was a decent enough one and nothing a little trimming with a craft knife wouldn't solve.
Very nice models on your profile by the way Freddy.