All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:02 am

Post subject: wargear
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have just bought the warriors of erebor, some of them have spears some dont. My question is, do you have to pay points for a spear for a model that is allready holding one physicly that i painted. And secondly for the ones who dont carry a x
spear, can i buy one and they can use it as if they were?
 Post subject: Re: wargear
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Considering most people play wysiwyg, then yes. Otherwise it gets confusing for your opponent. Likewise, if you want a warrior who isn't holding a spear to have one, you should model it on so either stick one on his back or do a hand swap.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

G.W. have been disgustingly tight with lack of modelling options until late, even so, I would really have liked to have seen a banner option as well as extra spears with hands modeled on them to allow you to field all spearmen with this boxed set.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

DwarfWarrior wrote:
I have just bought the warriors of erebor, some of them have spears some dont. My question is, do you have to pay points for a spear for a model that is allready holding one physicly that i painted. And secondly for the ones who dont carry a x
spear, can i buy one and they can use it as if they were?

1) Yes, you have to pay points for each piece of wargear not listed in the 'Base profile' in the rulebook that is given as an option for that model. So unfortunately yes you will have to pay for the spears even though they are modelled on.

2) Technically the rulebook states a model can only use the wargear that is shown on it "What you see is what you get". However, most opponents apart from those in tournaments likely won't care as like Bilbo said, their is often a lack of weapon parts to equip everything with exactly what you want.
In the future though you can always look at attaching 'spears' on the back of the Warriors of Erebor. My personal cheap recommendation for this is brass rods/wire sharpened to a point at one end and cut to size.

Hope that helps! :)

OERP
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My personal cheap recommendation for this is brass rods/wire sharpened to a point at one end and cut to size.

The above is an excellent solution, which I intend to have a go at! It makes Grim Hammers viable if backed up by Erebor Dwarves with spear.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You don't need spears w/ moulded hands on :? LotR stuff has never come with extras (bar some cavalry sets) so why would they change it now? Get a hobby drill and some spears off ebay and do it that way. Looks so much better than just sticking a piece of rod on the back.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks, i might do that
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You don't need spears w/ moulded hands on :? LotR stuff has never come with extras (bar some cavalry sets) so why would they change it now? Get a hobby drill and some spears off ebay and do it that way. Looks so much better than just sticking a piece of rod on the back.[/quote]

Nice conversion SD, but its beyond a surprising amount of gamers, and being a bit of a perfectionist I feel that I would like all the Erebor Dwarves to have matching spear heads to give a uniformed look with their comrades that came equipped with spears in the box. Modelling or casting the spear heads is not a problem, but they tend to be vulnerable during gaming, and there is only so much time I personally can give to modelling and painting these days.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

one box of grimhammers converted fully to erebors take me no more than 2 hours (unless I get distracted. That's reposing, drilling hands, pinning onto bases. It really isn't hard lol. I'll have to show you the entire army at some point. Because I am only using grimhammer conversions, they all look uniform.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
one box of grimhammers converted fully to erebors take me no more than 2 hours (unless I get distracted. That's reposing, drilling hands, pinning onto bases. It really isn't hard lol. I'll have to show you the entire army at some point. Because I am only using grimhammer conversions, they all look uniform.

Its a good idea but, I am already in the position of having assembled and in some cases painted up the miniatures from an Erebor Dwarf set.