All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:44 pm

Post subject: Sourcebooks and New Hobbit Rules
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello I'm a relatively new player and was wondering are the basic rules for gaming included in the source-books of a faction or will I have to shell out the big bucks for the Hobbit Rulebook? I do own the old blue rotk book and mainly just play with two friends so is upgrading worth it?
 Post subject: Re: Sourcebooks and New Hobbit Rules
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yes.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Reasons being :

1. You play the hobby with more than 1 person
2. you can share the book with small enough people or all contribute to pay for the book ( you can get it close to half price off ebay ) to reduce the cost
3. Lots of new stuff that is hard to find online.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi there buddy and welcome to the forum! Always good to see another new player getting involved, I hope we can help point you in the right direction :)

From my own point of view I would say it's definitely worth getting hold of the Hobbit rules by any means possible as the changes and extra dimensions added to the game are just so much fun :)

If you don't want to invest in the big rule book, then keep checking ebay for the small rulebook that is included in the Escape from Goblin Town starter set. It doesn't have any profiles, but it should get you up to scratch with the rules :)

I would say it's worth getting together with your mates and purchasing an EFGT set from your local gaming store and splitting it between you or even selling off anything you don't want on ebay as you'll make all your money back AND be the proud owner of the new rules :)

Jamie and I from the GBHL channel on youtube are releasing some videos reviewing some of the Hobbit rules changes soon, so keep an eye out! I hope it encourages you to get the rulebook :)

Happy strategy battle gaming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The new rules do add a lot to the game. Especially monsters

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:D Thanks for all the replies everyone I suppose getting the new rules is worth it. Now I have a small Isenguard army and don't have any of the new units. So should I hold off on buying the sourcebook until I pick up somebody like Vrashku or have the points/rules for basic units changed.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't think the basic units have changed, but the faction sourcebook does have some inspiring options that aren't in the old One Ring book. Mauhur, Vrasku, Feral Uruk-hai, etc are useful additions to an Isengard army. Not to mention, you'll be introduced to the "war band" method of army creation…a great improvement over LoME IMHO.

On the whole I'd agree getting the Hobbit book is worth it. I'm not that happy about the shooting changes, have no use for the special weapon strikes, but I'm very pleased with the monster changes and additional heroic actions.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with Thermo, if you can find the Hobbit rulebook cheaper on ebay fromt he Escape from Goblin Town set, get it. That is unless you want to use the newer Hobbit models, in which case get the bigger book as that is the only place you'll find their profiles.
I'd also recommend getting a sourcebook, if only because its a one off thing and is unlikely to ever be updated, and it's got all the profile's for Isengard, some fo which have updated points costs and rule changes.

Of course if all your friends don't mind sticking with the old rulebook then go for it, it all depends how bothered you are about using the new rules, but I'd definitely recommend getting a sourcebook, as it comes with the warbands rules outlined. :)

OERP