All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: new to all this
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all! !

Hi I am very very new this I've yet to pick up my 1st set of units! !
Is there any advice you guys can could give to a fresh piece of meat like me
From looking around online im leaning towards the Moria goblins. Hunter orcs and rangers of middleearth thanks
 Post subject: Re: new to all this
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well it's certainly a diverse list you have there!
I'd say read up on the different armies to find what you like, experiment around a little perhaps then build from there.?

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

First off hello to the One Ring and the hobby.

I'd recommend any one of the boxes you've mentioned and a hero to lead them, as well as the appropriate army-book for their profiles.

So here's some specifics:
If you are purchasing Moria Goblins I'd recommend Groblog to lead them (you will also need the Moria and Angmar sourcebook to play a game with them)

If you purchase the Hunter Orcs I'd recommend Azog to lead them, all their profiles can be found online for free at the GW website.

If you choose the Rangers of Middle-Earth I'd recommend Faramir (in his ranger armor) to lead them (you will also need the Kingdoms of Men Sourcebook to play a game with them).

Hope some of that helps and I hope you enjoy the hobby :)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would second what James said, but would add that you will also need a rulebook with the games rules in. Large ones can be bought from GW's website, whereas small ones can be found on ebay, or in Escape from Goblin Town Starter Set. This box has lots of goblins in, even though they are not moria ones, so might be a good place to start. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome! if you need rules and want moria goblins you could search for the mines of moria starter set. Some rules are outdated but that's not a that big problem, i'd say.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome!

You can generally pick up a bunch of unpainted Moria plastic goblins from eBay pretty cheaply.

Can't go wrong with a cave troll either! Throw in a few character models (one per 12 models) and you're away.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:16 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to One Ring,

As the others have said, it's up to you what you choose and you can get the Goblins cheap in places. Bear in mind that "Rangers of Middle-earth" are used for two or three different troop types, it's up to you to decide whether you want them as Gondor Rangers, Arnor Rangers or even the Archers of the Blackroot Vale.

Happy gaming and good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome, you've come to the right place, as the others say ebay is the best place to get value for money on figures. The new Hobbit boxed set (came out a year ago) is highly recommended, rule book and loads of miniatures

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hello and welcome

as other just said if you consider making an army of Moria orcs ( GWS tends to distict the two the green ones are orcs, while the white flesh like hobbit movie are Goblins... whether this is good or not i leave to those who fond of books details but keep it in mind when google stuff up )

personally i bought a couple of job lots from ebay now i have more then 100 of moria orcs if you want a simple advice try to be a bit creative example the normal colours would be like green skin, brown leather and silver Armour..... you can have captain etc but to make life simple even to count etc one can follow a different colour for there leather such as light orange or even dirty blue.... plus for further help one can make distiction with what type of armour example 20 metal/ silver 4 gold ration with 1:5 ..( a bit roman empire style the)

a must have in moria set would be cave troll there a lot around on ebay... there is also the moria specific scenery which includes the door to Balin tomb 4 coloums the well and small piece like underground lock.....

IF you are into rare pieces etc try to check out a base where all the fellowship can fit around with Gimli over tomb etc..... i dont think its still in production anymore so if you found one just buy it it worth ( i could help you with colours etc there is also a set of around 9 videos how to paint from ground up :)

finally a nice fine cast also related to Moria would be the Balrog :)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you guys for all the help and advice !!!! the models mentioned are the ones i like the look of but i research and learn more before committing to a certain force ... but thank you all for the in put

Toke
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Toke wrote:
Hey all! !

Hi I am very very new this I've yet to pick up my 1st set of units! !
Is there any advice you guys can could give to a fresh piece of meat like me
From looking around online im leaning towards the Moria goblins. Hunter orcs and rangers of middleearth thanks

Here man.....check all this out....this aint my site, but I used this to help paint my goblins and thorins company. This isnt a guide as a new guy to use, but you CAN TAKE helpful advice from it:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013 ... obbit.html

I did mine a bit different. Then theres always youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Moria is a very flexible and fun force. There are often large numbers of Goblins available online via ebay and probably for sale or trade at your local hobby shops. The forces that have been out and in circulation a long time get like that. What is also great about them is you can branch out in several directions with them.

Cave Trolls, Giant Spiders, Spider Queen, Bat Swarms, Warg Riders, Wild Wargs, Balrog, Dragon, Cave Drake, Watcher...all these mix very well thematically with them and gives you a lot of options based on how you want to play. There is also nothing wrong with adding in some Mordor Orcs or Mordor Uruk Hai as I believe Gandalf made reference to Orcs from Mordor while traveling through the Mines ( I will have to check my Nook later for a quote ).

If you pick up the EfGT Hobbit starter set there is nothing wrong with mixing the unarmored Goblins from that with your armored Goblins as well. I'm going to deviate from the standard and paint the skin of both sets the same so they blend better, but it's perfectly fine in the current format to mix the two forces as long as you follow the Warband rules properly and make the force a little more motley and represent the 'civilian' (?) mob as well as armored force.

As for the Rangers, as mentioned the models can represent different forces in ME. Luckily if you paint fairly neutral you can use them for several armies in the game based on which Heroes you add in. The Men sourcebook is really helpful here so you can see each option and make some choices. Where you may have problems is getting many models though. They don't seem to show up as often, probably because there's just not as many of them out there.

Hunter Orcs are very new and you will pay full price premium for them. Consider them as an add on force for your Goblins initially perhaps unless you have some good fortune in life and can pick up the boxes without much concern.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com