All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:54 pm

Post subject: same character different models same stats ??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all

Another noob question,

Say if I had l several models of a certain character. . For an example
Aragorn... Would the stats be the same for all of them? ???
 Post subject: Re: same character different models same stats ??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, unless it's Aragorn Elessar (King Aragorn) as he starts with different equipment. Same with Gandalf the Grey and White. They are similarly named, but have completely different stats. Gandalf the White is more powerful, so he costs more. Same with Stryder and King Aragorn.

Another example of same character, different models are Boromir of Gondor and Boromir, Captain of the White Tower.

Hope this helps and is understandable

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yea thats help thank I kind of guess the ones you mentioned would differ
Cheers for the confirmation... I guess sometines it comes down to the model you like the look of most ;)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually, Aragorn also exists as Aragorn, Isildur's Heir, the model for which could also be taken for Strider with bow or vice versa (same person, same overall appearance, same wargear...). At least, I would allow that without hesitation. The hood even makes him look more Strider-y.
Differently posed models can often represent them having slightly different wargear, the original Fellowship Legolas doesn't have a cloak for example, while later versions can represent him with an Elven cloak - but it can also be an ordinary cloak of course.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, in some cases different models represent different profiles - it's usually obvious when this is the case (based on either totally different equipment - Aragorn the King has Heavy Armour, or representing a character at different stages of their life, like the two Balins).

But others are simply there to denote different equipment sets the character can have (like the TTT Aragorn in chainmail isn't a seperate profile, he's the fellowship Aragorn/Strider profile, just with armour). Others yet are just different poses of the same character for the same profile - like Aragorn from Weathertop, Amon Hen, or Return of the king. They're all the same profile, and essentially the same equipment, so you're free to pick the one you like most, really.

It's usually pretty clear from comparing the models equipment to the profile. If there's nothing that's out of place (say, Gandalf the Grey being an alarmingly white shade of grey), you're usually alright.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There's nothing wrong using a model of a character to represent any version of that character's Profile in the game system. There is a lot to be said about using a model that has appropriate wargear and is as WYSIWYG as possible, but not mandatory.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok guys, so I have a question about this, or two lol.

Tournemant legal models......so, can you give Aragorn with the Helms Deep camo narsil or no?

Also, say you got Saruman with his white council pose when he was still good..... Can you till use him for his good profile and his evil?

How about legolas in his pose from the new movie for example. Hes always dressed the same. Can you give him armor or keep him without it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All good. If you are allowed to give Aragorn the Narsil wargear then you can do it for any of the model versions.

Where you may get into some 'discussion' would be someplace where the model is significantly different between versions. Examples like this:

Gandalf the White model (and paint job) being used as basic Gandalf or a basic Gandalf (model and paint) being used as Gandalf the White. The appearance of the two paint jobs are so distinctive it could be considered confusing.

Faramir in Ranger outfit being used as Faramir in heavy armor or the other way around.

Aragorn in any Ranger outfits being used as King Elessar or the other way around.

In each of those last two the no-armor vs. the heavy armor is a pretty dramatic difference and again could be considered confusing.

But using any of the current Legolas models with the armor wargear option is fine (there's no Armored Legolas model) as long as your opponent knows. Similarly, using the old Eomer model being used as either of the Eomer profiles would be fine because there's no major difference between them.

It just needs to be clear to you and your opponent. If there's a chance of confusion then there's probably a need for a different model.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually, I think the Helms Deep shoulder-pads on some legolas models are intended to be the armour. And the hobbit version definitely is wearing armour.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I figured what you said...that's exactly what I was thinking. I just needed clarification. So I can be comfortable using my white council original saruman as isengard

Thing is I've heard a ton of negativity about gamers complaining if you don't have the exact models at these tournemants . I get nervous and stuff like that makes me wanna disassociate with the hobby. At least organized manner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It is common courtesy to have your models wysiwyg. But the community is generally laid back about the occasional 'bob has this but it isn't on the model'.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't know what that giant acronym is but I assume it means the actual model from gw right?
I'd like to use some orcs as bar ad due guys because I have some sweet things that look like shields but ppl would be mad at that right? Is that even allowed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wysiwyg = what you see is what you get. So what is on the model is what can be used.

Normal mordor orcs as black guard of barad-dur?!? :shock: that would be proxying...which is generally frowned upon. GW do have a rule which is 'if a model exists for a profile, you must use it'. Conversions are ok, as long as the finished result looks like the intended model. And yes, I would be slightly mad. Especially as I have hunted down 15 metal ones.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Wysiwyg = what you see is what you get. So what is on the model is what can be used.

Normal mordor orcs as black guard of barad-dur?!? :shock: that would be proxying...which is generally frowned upon. GW do have a rule which is 'if a model exists for a profile, you must use it'. Conversions are ok, as long as the finished result looks like the intended model. And yes, I would be slightly mad. Especially as I have hunted down 15 metal ones.

Yeah I get it. I figured that was generally frowned upon. What I frown upon more is having tonpay for sons of work and black guard the way they are that's while I'll never field these armies. I'm not rich. But then again I also wouldn't really proxy in tournemants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Proxy is a different discussion than using a model of a character to represent a different 'version' of that same character. Saruman is Saruman regardless of what set he's from and visually there is nothing different beyond pose. Faramir is Faramir, Boromir is Boromir, and Aragorn is Aragorn, but the options of heavy armor and low armor versions do mean it's often nice to have one of each version if you have the chance (especially since they are all good models IMO).

Proxy is using a significant different model (often completely unrelated) to represent something you do not have.

If you don't intend to use them in tournaments and you're not chained to playing in GW only stores, then you often don't need to worry about proxy issues as long as you talk to your opponent in advance. You cannot proxy during a tournament or similar "serious" event. If GW has a model available for a profile and you want to use the profile you pretty much need to use the model. If you are playing in a GW store then I've heard some pretty tight controls are forced but that may not be global. I can see GW not wanting you to bring in some other company's models but I'm not sure just how they may act to someone wanting to proxy some GW LotR model as another unrelated profile.

GW has a LOT of available models out there but in some cases you just don't play a force enough to justify spending the money on the models, their current model prices are really discouraging ( $20-$24 for 24 models...oh those were the days) and to be honest some models are just dumb looking IMO.

The Black Guard for example I think is a really stupid design. Others love it. Aesthetics are very personal. I do not ever intend on buying the Black Guard models because they just have no appeal to me at all. The profile however is interesting for me so I sometimes use my Mordor Uruk Hai as Black Guard in SBG and WotR. I have a lot of the Morodr Uruk models because back when the hobby was more accessible I picked up a few Cirith Ungol box sets and a few blisters of them. I will not mix actual Mordor Uruks on the table in the same game so there's no risk of confusion and our local players are fine with this proxy. I am happy with the proxy because I really dislike the Black Guard models. We are blessed with a local hobby store that is independent of the GW restrictions and I don't have interest anymore in tournament events run by them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Proxy is a different discussion than using a model of a character to represent a different 'version' of that same character. Saruman is Saruman regardless of what set he's from and visually there is nothing different beyond pose. Faramir is Faramir, Boromir is Boromir, and Aragorn is Aragorn, but the options of heavy armor and low armor versions do mean it's often nice to have one of each version if you have the chance (especially since they are all good models IMO).

Proxy is using a significant different model (often completely unrelated) to represent something you do not have.

If you don't intend to use them in tournaments and you're not chained to playing in GW only stores, then you often don't need to worry about proxy issues as long as you talk to your opponent in advance. You cannot proxy during a tournament or similar "serious" event. If GW has a model available for a profile and you want to use the profile you pretty much need to use the model. If you are playing in a GW store then I've heard some pretty tight controls are forced but that may not be global. I can see GW not wanting you to bring in some other company's models but I'm not sure just how they may act to someone wanting to proxy some GW LotR model as another unrelated profile.

GW has a LOT of available models out there but in some cases you just don't play a force enough to justify spending the money on the models, their current model prices are really discouraging ( $20-$24 for 24 models...oh those were the days) and to be honest some models are just dumb looking IMO.

The Black Guard for example I think is a really stupid design. Others love it. Aesthetics are very personal. I do not ever intend on buying the Black Guard models because they just have no appeal to me at all. The profile however is interesting for me so I sometimes use my Mordor Uruk Hai as Black Guard in SBG and WotR. I have a lot of the Morodr Uruk models because back when the hobby was more accessible I picked up a few Cirith Ungol box sets and a few blisters of them. I will not mix actual Mordor Uruks on the table in the same game so there's no risk of confusion and our local players are fine with this proxy. I am happy with the proxy because I really dislike the Black Guard models. We are blessed with a local hobby store that is independent of the GW restrictions and I don't have interest anymore in tournament events run by them.

Lucky you that must be cool.

But yeah man, I understand them not liking other companies products to replace theirs as a proxy, but they should really allow people to use 10 modified mordor orcs to be barad dur...

I mean, if I wanted an army of Dunlendings Id pay at least 50 dollars for 2 warbands let alone heros and the rest of the army. Plus their aint many poses.
Either way, going back to the original topic....thanks everyone for clearing that up.

And yes beowulf, I do like the idea of having the Helms Deep Aragorn and then the fellowship one etc.

My favorite may be how boromir looks in the mines of moria pack then his transformation to the armor of the white tree of Gondor! Thats a nice one.