All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:46 pm

Post subject: Using my own invented fictional characters in tournaments
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,

A quick question here about using my own created miniatures in tournaments. So if I have converted and named a fictional hero character to lead a warband, am I aloud to use him in tournaments? As long as he's not overpowered, fits in nicely with the lotr range, and has his own stats and rules would I be able to use him?

Bit of a silly question, I'm guessing not. Never been to a tournament myself, so I'm not entirely sure :-/ I thought of my own themed force with a special named character to lead them.

Thanks in advance :-D

It sort of then became a Hobbit
 Post subject: Re: Using my own invented fictional characters in tournament
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unfortunately the moat likely answer is no. What is the character, I often find most characters can be represented surprisingly well with a generic profile kitted out correctly.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No. You could use him as another character (likely a Captain), but not use home-made rules for him. My best advice would be to speak to one of the organisers of the tournament before proxying him for a named character, to make sure that it's okay.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah, he is Ranger of the North captain guy. I was going to give him a profile similar to Arathorn (2 wounds, 3 attacks) but with a special rule or two to represent his legendary status. Given this, I would give him a points value of at least 70 to 80.

I was going to use him as a historic character to be played in specially crafted scenarios which me and my friends could play. But I also wanted to use him in tournaments with the special customized force.

For the special rules, he is a renowned archer (not Legolas awesome though) but I was thinking of something like the Haldir rule 'expert shot'. Second was going to be one to represent his fearful battle prowess. A great commander he was, but haven't thought on that or what rule could represent that. I thought woodland creature would be a suitable one too (or counting as one).

Thinking now, he should be about 90 points. What would you guys think? I'll write a set of rules for him and his followers tomorrow, since if he's not allowed in tournaments, I can at least play with him in points matches against my friends.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Goldman25 wrote:
My best advice would be to speak to one of the organisers of the tournament before proxying him for a named character, to make sure that it's okay.

I would've thought so myself. I'll take him to a future tournament, as I'm thinking of entering a few come the new year. If I have my Ranger force done by then, I'll see if he gets in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nah you won't be able to use him at tournaments. Tournaments need a level playing field where everyone knows what they're fighting, who decides how many points he should be? 5/10/15 points can make a big difference in a tournament, not to mention if you start allowing people to pick and choose their favourite special rules and put them together in a new character. It might seem a little restrictive but otherwise anyone could turn up with their own home-grown heroes and the whole thing would descend into chaos.

I'd heartily recommend that you do it yourself though for friendly games, nothing wrong with that at all and it's to be encouraged as far as I'm concerned. Anything that keeps the game fresh and appealing is a good thing, they're your toys, use 'em however you want!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:
Nah you won't be able to use him at tournaments. Tournaments need a level playing field where everyone knows what they're fighting, who decides how many points he should be? 5/10/15 points can make a big difference in a tournament, not to mention if you start allowing people to pick and choose their favourite special rules and put them together in a new character. It might seem a little restrictive but otherwise anyone could turn up with their own home-grown heroes and the whole thing would descend into chaos.

That makes sense. I'd think with doing something like that, we'll lose the game we love so much and it might turn into a generic fantasy game with lotr models :shock:

Anyway, that's not going to stop me from creating that small army I dreamed of anytime soon, in fact, I've thought of a small WIP to do it with (alongside the future Laketown WIP). Anyway, enough blabbing now.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :-D