All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:28 am

Post subject: Getting back into the hobby
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I haven't played or painted in about 7 years. The last book I got was either Shadow in the East or Legions of Middle Earth.

I've still got a ton of painted and based plastic models and metal models (mainly heroes) that I'll literally just be interested in painting. I'd like a few tips and stuff so I can get back into painting them. Currently got a bunch of models sat in water debasing them so yeah I'd like some advice.

1. Why have prices gone up so much? £20 for 12 models? I remember when it was £12 for 24.
2. Can I strip the paint off plastic models? I know I can do it off metal models
3. Is the ONE RULEBOOK still valid?
4. Is Legions of Middle Earth still valid?
5. What is Finecast?
6. Can I order Battle Games in Middle Earth any more or is it out of print so I'll have to download the issues?
7. I've got a bunch of broken minatures? Will I be able to sell them cheaply on eBay or shall I just bin them?
8. GW is expensive. Where can I buy a little drill for pinning models? Where can I buy cheap paints and brushes good for painting?

Thanks, if there's anything I could do with knowing that I've forgotten, then tell me, thanks :)
 Post subject: Re: Getting back into the hobby
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome! I'll try to answer a few:

1. We try to avoid that topic around here. Yes, it's frustrating, but venting about it seems to lead to fights and negativity between people who would otherwise just enjoy the hobby itself. Check out the "Recent Announcements" section for our policy.

3. It's been replaced by the Hobbit book. The game plays almost exactly the same, however, a few things have been added, such as:
- army creation is now in the form of "warbands", where you need a hero to lead up to 12 warriors. Most people seem to consider this a welcome change.
- monsters are now more potent and fun, which is generally recognized as a good thing, since they were easy to neutralize before
- shooting rules have changed slightly, as there is now a penalty for movement
- weapons have "special strikes" you can use to get a more varied effect
- there are several new heroic actions
- most spells now have a "basic" version, and a more potent "channelled" version

In addition, there are now five new army sourcebooks that compile everything from the earlier sourcebooks, and make changes to a few profiles.

4. No, the warband rules replace it

5. Finecast is a resin product that gives higher detail than metal...when it's not flawed. Many of the old metal figures were replaced with finecast, but it appears finecast might be on its way out, and GW may be moving everything to plastic.

6. If you're downloading you're pirating, so we can't talk about it here.

Hope that helps!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

1. I wish I knew. People have said they're bringing the LotR range up to the price of 40k/Fantasy (20 quid for 12 models).
2. Yeah, use dettol
3. You can still use it and most of the rules are still the same, but pick up EFGT or the EFGT rulebook on ebay for cheap, won't cost much and you'll have the proper up to date rules.
4. I'm not sure what that is as I quit before it was released
5. A new material that was launched but has been pretty unsuccessful due to it being quite soft and having other issues.
6. It's out of print
7. Save some for conversions/dead bodies? That's my excuse for keeping mine.
8. Do not skimp on paints and brushes as it will show. If there are any high quality, cheap paints and brushes then i'm not aware of them.

VG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1. Because they can lol, its a business and they've invested more into the finer details of plastics (doesnt explain the HUGE hike, but its a partial reason)
2. Yes, I've heard detol and Simple Green (cleaning solution) work quite well
3. No there is a new Hobbit Rulebook which is the updated rules (But its the same game)
4. No, there are new army sourcebooks that explain the new system for army-building, which is called warbands
5. Garbage. Its a plastic "resin", poor quality, poor durability. It is being phased out.
6. I dont know
7. I'd keep them for conversions or casualty units (makes great terrain), or fix those that you can
8. If you're in the US at a Hobby Town, Michaels, Hobby Lobby or any other Hobby/Craft store. Overseas I have no idea lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1. I have no idea why prices have gone up, only got into the hobby two years ago. About the same time as when prices went up. I'm guessing economy :-/
2. You can strip plastic models, but be careful what you use. Some things may melt them.
3. Sadly, you have to buy the new hobbit rulebook for the current and updated rules.
4. I'm not sure on that
5. Finecast is resin miniatures. They are detailed miniatures, like metal models.
6. You can buy the BGIME issues from eBay, I'm not sure about downloading them though. If you're lucky, you can get miniatures with them too.
7. You can sell those miniatures or convert them. Don't throw them away though, unless they're seriously damaged.
8. I'm not sure where to get one of those, look on eBay or Gifts for Geeks. GfG does discount Games Workshop stuff, so you get their quality stuff, but cheaper.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It was £15 for 24 models when I left and I considered that too expensive! Will be painting my current collection and sticking to eBay, just ordered Gandalf TTT, Aragorn the King foot and mounted, Boromir heavy armoured with shield finecast, and a few plastics on eBay.

I know lots of people know of alternative modelling sites, is there any recommend alternative tools for example a little modelling drill so I can pin my Cave Troll back together? And paints and brushes obviously, I just want to avoid Citadel since I've always found them damned overpriced.