All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:25 pm

Post subject: rivendell and lothlorien
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

im picking up some galahadrim warriors and i was wandering could i combine them with high elf warriors and other units form rivendell ? ect ..they look pretty much the same ...so are separate army's alltogether then ?
 Post subject: Re: rivendell and lothlorien
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Rivendell and Galahdrim are different armies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

so who are the "average"
warriors for rivendell ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rivendell can only have high elf warriors in their army, and wood elf warriors in gildor's warband.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be honest with you, I'd give it up for now. I think I remember you saying something about a budget a while back(correct me if im wrong).

Right now, all the high elves have to offer are regular elves with two handed elven swords, and elves with bows. You can convert the swordsmen to have shields and look different but honestly thats still 1 pose only to make changed to. Most ppls look like theyve just tried too hard to make something work that shouldnt.

The last foot unit you have access to is the high elf with shield. I saw 6 brand new of these sell on ebay just the other day for 51 dollars....for six....

I saw another lot recently that was like 11 for 100 dollars pre painted.

Other than that you have Rivendell Knights for 50 dollars for 6 models.

Wood elves are widely available, less expensive price and cheaper in game.
They offer you almost everything the high elves could and more unique things.

Id stay with Lothlorien/Mirkwood if I were you.

And technically yes, you could make for example an army of:

Elrond
-8 high elves with sword
-4 high elves with bow

Legolas
-8 wood elves with spear
-4 wood elves with bow

Just make sure you seperate them by war band.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Diferent roles on each, diferent game style.

Wood elves lack on something high elves have on plenty and sturdy.
1- all heavy armour core (you can get an all out heavily armoured force if you want)
2- heavy cavalry (means really heavy and deadly as well with their lances)
3- Expensive but very powerfull heroes (unlike wood elves, half the high elf heroe choices are above 120pts+, mainly Gil Galad, Elrond, glorfindel, elrond´s sons(twins))
4- They have acess to wood elves who walk fast than regular wood elves (if you pay for gildor and extra points for those elves)
5- with gil galad upgrade you get the highest fight value elves in your army
6- random captains despite being expensive got acess to all weapons, armour and mount avail to high elves and make them formidably resilient to take on damage.
7- the army in general is very expensive in points so you will be most likely outnumbered if you field expensive heroes and such

on the other hand wood elves have acess to quite unique things.
1- they are cheaper and you can adjust to a variety of rolls giving cheap troops or more expensive ones, they aren´t made for fights through attricion like high elves, so require a bit more tricky things.
2 - they get acess to throwing daggers, which is very handy in most cases
3 - in general wood elves dont have shields except galadhrim and for that they can benefit from shielding rule with their spears.
4- Their heroes despite being in comparison a bit weaker vs the best, do not underestimate them, they are very very good for their points, being cheaper and hardly over 100pts makes them very very flexible to fit anywhere.
5- the galadhrim have acess to cavalry as well as some nasty heroes and unlike high elves, they have acess to pikes
6- new hobbit minis brought a new level of gameplay being far more expensive elves but really usefull...
7- if you dont use thranduil´s version from the hobbit, if you use the older version you can pay some extra points to get the best shooting unit in the game hitting stuff on 2+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:38 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My advice would always be to look on Ebay for great deals, but pull up GW's webpage as well so you can make sure these deals are really deals lol. But if Ebay doesn't have what you want then purchase elsewhere.

Galadrihm and High Elves cannot be in the same War-band, BUT they can be in the same army if you have warbands of each.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can Lothlorien Woodelves and Mirkwood Elves be used in the same army? Or must they be allied?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

IntLemon wrote:
Can Lothlorien Woodelves and Mirkwood Elves be used in the same army? Or must they be allied?

Pre-Hobbit range can but the Hobbit range Mirkwood elves are seperate. So technically you have to ally in the two mirkwood lists

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Right to clarify a few points,

There are several factions you can make armies from to take a warband from a faction you take one hero from that faction and can then take 12 warriors from the same faction.

In this case there are two factions, Rivendel and Lothlorien + Mirkwood (Lothlorien and Mirkwood count as the same list, I guess because its easy as they both include wood elves. If you want to only take lothlorien just use lothlorien heroes).

So can lothlorien and rivendel be in the same army? Absolutely! :)

Just take one rivendel hero, say Elrond, and one lothlorien hero say galdariel, then pick up to 12 warriors each for their warbands. Simple :)

Don't be put off about using them, if this is an army you like the idea, theme, look of then you won't be disappointed. Armoured elves don't normally have numbers on their side so they can take some practice to use effectively on the field but they are a good army once you've got the hang of it.

Quick note, there are a few odd bits from the new hobbit lists and the old sourcebook lists as jamesR has pointed out.

A rivendel list has armoured high elves on foot, to ally in Rivendel Knights you have to ally in the Elrond;s Household list.

To take Mirkwood elves from the sourcebook you could take say Thranduril and then upgrade archers in his warband to hit on 2+. You'd then have to use the new hobbit sourcebook list to ally in mirkwood rangers.

Can seem very confusing especially when people like Elrond, Legolas and Thranduril appear in more than one faction (you can only ever take one of a named character btw so no multiple legolas's :P).

It's quite simple once you get your head round it :)
Hope that helps
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The High elves are good, and despite what the brown ring said the plastics are good, I'd certainly say they are better looking then the wood elf plastics, plus High elf captains are among the few models done by GW that are not extortionately expensive (plus come with a warrior with banner).
I'd say for high elves get a powerful hero like Glonfindal or Gilgalad, with a full warband, and for the wood elves use their cheaper heroes like stormcallers or Rumil.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The high elves could use some more variety in their poses though. The newer plastics are getting so nice and have a lot of variety. Plus the greater variety makes it easier to mod for even more. However the high elves are all generally in two poses..sword over head or sword at the ready. It does give the image of a well trained and disciplined force but can also be interpreted as "boring" when you compare to many other armies.

That being said, I do have a couple warbands worth and I think they look great. I would not object to a box of updated ones with some variety though.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

True, but I must it is the poses are what putts me off the plastic Galhadrim, variety is nice, but only if the poses are practical.
One thing to decide first is which would make up the core of your army.