All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: Warg Riders - How to effectively use em
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

To be honest after coming back after a long break on the battles I cant recall exactly how we use em and i was never good on using em.

Those riders have no lances so they may be considered as light calavry right? Although warg provides a S4 to the rider making him a good troop to inflict wounds and also if rider dies and warg passes the courage test you still have a troop in the game. So I think the points deserve to be sent for sure!

But how many riders should i take on a 500 pt army? Do i need a full warband of them lowering the number of orcs? Or they can still push and kill as a 6-warg riders + cap warband? I suppose on 750, full warband of them is must..

In addition, what weapons to use on them? Should i convert em, remove the bows and give shield on all of them for example? Cause 5+ and S2 of orc bow does not deserve 1 point per model for me... I dont even use orc archers especially on small armies.. Throwing spears? I am really confused about what works and what does not... I believe that "ranged hit and go" cavalry tactic that other armies use those riders cannot use effectively.

Also use sharku or try an orc rider chieftain? I dont have sharku and he is only used on isengard list but in cost of 5 pts he have 1 extra might. I mean i am going to need that might and i must pay some euros for this? :P

Post subject: Re: Warg Riders - How to effectively use em
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

They are effective at counter charging opposing cavalry to negate cavalry charge bonus if you keep several near each flank (4-6) with a strong infantry center.

MOLON LABE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been using an orc captain on warg (or sharku the last battle who was easily MVP) and 6 warg riders for the last few battles and theyre pretty good.

Forget throwing weapons/bows. Theyre useless.

Dont charge headfirst into a spear block as you WILL lose.

Use them to 'herd', i.e people dont like the idea of them flanking or in the rear so will move away even if that puts them in a worse position. Then you can pounce on stray models or whatever. If you use orcs/goblins as your main army, you'll have numbers too, which will make the 12-13pts each less painful

Sharku is a 100% solid investment. That extra might comes in MASSIVELY handy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

thatguy513 wrote:
They are effective at counter charging opposing cavalry to negate cavalry charge bonus if you keep several near each flank (4-6) with a strong infantry center.

Nice approach thank you!

Gildor_Inglorion wrote:

1.Forget throwing weapons/bows. Theyre useless.

2.Dont charge headfirst into a spear block as you WILL lose.

3.Use them to 'herd', i.e people dont like the idea of them flanking or in the rear so will move away even if that puts them in a worse position. Then you can pounce on stray models or whatever. If you use orcs/goblins as your main army, you'll have numbers too, which will make the 12-13pts each less painful

1. I agree thank you on making it clear! But its ridiculous that making em effective is forcing you to make all your wargs look the same ..

2. Indeed... But with what to break a spear block if i dont use archers? With a same spear block? And a help of wargs flanking em?

Also i read on a tactic review that we shuld not use more than 6. But what models should fill the warband if there are still points to be spent?

3. I dont really understand what the worse position means. Take em away and let em on standby till there is time for them to be used as flankers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

just so you know, you should never have a Warband or 12 cavalry models. That's too many models for one Hero to look after, 8 at the most, especially with light cavalry such as Warg Rider, you want them in small warbands. Also, there's nothing wring with retreating for afew turns with cavalry in order to get the best angle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
just so you know, you should never have a Warband or 12 cavalry models. That's too many models for one Hero to look after

Ι appreciate your help though i am not sure why this is better? Surely my experience is not enough but why 6 mounted models work better than 12 together?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Simply due to maneuverability. If you have more than 6 you won't be able to fit all of them within a stand fast or a heroic move

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
Simply due to maneuverability. If you have more than 6 you won't be able to fit all of them within a stand fast or a heroic move

Just to accentuate this point, the worst thing that can happen to cavalry is to get caught on a charge by infantry. You're paying lots of extra points for abilities you can't then use. So you need your cavalry to either pick off stragglers, or you need them all to fit inside a hero-bubble so they can be in a heroic move if necessary.

Just to be devil's advocate :) there's nothing wrong with taking more than 8 cavalry in a warband, so long as you expect to use only 6 or so with the hero. If the others can do a different job (shooting and harassing the flanks, picking off lone models) then it could be worthwhile. So you could take 12, and send two groups of 3 in different directions to be distracting, just don't expect them to live long if you decide to charge into a group.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bows and wargs are not that bad, just think orc trackers with wargs, a point cheaper than the standard unequipped warg rider at that very effective little troops then at shoot and run

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Just to accentuate this point, the worst thing that can happen to cavalry is to get caught on a charge by infantry. You're paying lots of extra points for abilities you can't then use. So you need your cavalry to either pick off stragglers, or you need them all to fit inside a hero-bubble so they can be in a heroic move if necessary.

Just to be devil's advocate :) there's nothing wrong with taking more than 8 cavalry in a warband, so long as you expect to use only 6 or so with the hero. If the others can do a different job (shooting and harassing the flanks, picking off lone models) then it could be worthwhile. So you could take 12, and send two groups of 3 in different directions to be distracting, just don't expect them to live long if you decide to charge into a group.
JamesR wrote:

Completely understood! Never had that much experience with cavalry that now seems necessary to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I guess they are all just trying to say - don't get caught bottle-necking your warg riders. If you really wanted that many, use 2 groups of 6 together.