All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:31 pm

Post subject: Paint Storage Dried Paints. Please Help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I need urgent advice guys. I have just gone to paint some minis and a few of my paints have completely dried up. My painting room is in the attic, which is the equivalent of living in a thermos flask, it's freezing during the winter but like a sauna during spring and summer. Should I keep my paints in the fridge? Should I buy a cooler box? Should I turn them upside down every day? Please help, they have cost me a lot of money
 Post subject: Re: Paint Storage Dried Paints. Please Help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

First of all which paints are you using. I am only experienced with Games Workshop paints but I have found that you can bring back dried up paints by mixing in water gradually until it has the same consistency as before.
This gets harder depending on how completely the pot has dried up.

In regards to temperature I keep mine in cool, dry place. You don't want excessive heat on them but room temperature seems to be fine. I have never refrigerated paints before but I doubt it would do them any harm.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi, 95% of my paints are Citadel, and a couple Vallejo. Will adding water work even if the paint is bone dry? I am about to order a make up artists chair, which is really just a stool with trays built in.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

cooper101183 wrote:
Hi, 95% of my paints are Citadel, and a couple Vallejo. Will adding water work even if the paint is bone dry? I am about to order a make up artists chair, which is really just a stool with trays built in.

In all likelihood then you'd have to grind them down to a powder and remix the paint. Prob not worth it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

happened to me, and it really isn't worth it. i really think the paint pots from GW are a horrible way to store paint.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok thanks guys. Lesson Learned. It has only happened to the paints where there is only around 25% left. The problem is they are the paints I used most often. I will just have to make sure I put them away after every use.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Shake htm up after every use. Additionally, put some beads in your paint. One small bead. My paints used to dry up often (when I primarily used GW's range), but I put a bead in them, shook them up every time I put them away and got them out, and rarely had any drying up problem.

I now mainly use Reaper paints, and do the same. Never had a problem.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bofur The Dwarf wrote:
Shake htm up after every use. Additionally, put some beads in your paint. One small bead. My paints used to dry up often (when I primarily used GW's range), but I put a bead in them, shook them up every time I put them away and got them out, and rarely had any drying up problem.

I now mainly use Reaper paints, and do the same. Never had a problem.

I have never had a problem with Reaper. I have not used GW paint for years. I stopped using it because of the container.
The major reason I don't comment in the painting section is I do not use GW paint. Most of you seem to like it. A huge number of people have tried nothing else. Makes it hard to make suggestions.
If you keep adding water to paint the binder will break down. If the paint drys out the binder is gone. You will not be able to grind the pigment as fine as the manufacturer even if you add a binder. So try not to let it dry out by using a pallet instead of painting from the pot. Like I said I don't use it. I do not recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Generally speaking, once a paint has dried up, that's it. Game over, they need replaced. Can you store them in a closet downstairs or similar location? One that is a bit more temp controlled?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The 'new' Citadel paints are absolutely terrible for lasting anything more than a couple of years in my experience. I've tried six or seven different methods of storage, from different boxes, room temperatures, even placing them away from certain areas of my house where temperatures are likely to change... etc, etc... The longest life I've got out of the new Citadel paints is a Gorthor Brown that lasted about 18 months before half a point went completely solid after not being used in about two months. By contrast, the old Citadel paint pots were beautiful. I've got two Shadow Greys and a Tin Bitz that have survived at least a decade and still act like brand new paints. Anything over half a pot will generally be replaced free of charge however, at least, that's the experience I've had numerous times at my local GW. Let your local GW manager know how you're storing your paints and if he's happy that you're not mistreating them then he should give you a replacement pot. I've done this well over ten times without any hassle. Think of it as a Finecast error, except rather than being a casting error, it's a consistency error causing paints to turn into plastic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One thing I do. When I open a pot of paint, I look inside, and if it appears to be coagulating, I add 2-3 drops of water to the pot and give it a shakin'. This will revitalize the paint and allow you to store it longer.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have bought a storage container and they will have to be kept somewhere cooler, it's annoying as it is only Spring and they are already drying up. I thought they would be a lot more durable, I onle bought them in January/Feb so it is not like I have had them ages. I may try Reaper paints or Folk art which are held in high regard