All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:16 pm

Post subject: Khamul the easterling
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What is the best use for Khamul the Easterling.Im putting together a 1000pts Easterling force and im not familiar with him. With is ability to get his will back im leaning to use him as a spell slinger. On the other hand he can boost his stats for combat. Any input is appreciated.
 Post subject: Re: Khamul the easterling
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He's the best combat Wraith in the game (KoU is great too). Mount him on a horse or Fell Beast to get the most out of him

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

At 1000pts there is no reason for you not to put him on a fell beast. He was basically made to be put on fell beast imo. Just don't get too carried away with him. He's not invincible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
He's the best combat Wraith in the game (KoU is great too). Mount him on a horse or Fell Beast to get the most out of him

Id honestly say the Dark Marshall and the Knight of Umbar are 1 and 2 in terms of their worth in combat. And I of course dont mean in individual fights.

The Marshalls banner rule makes him much more valuable than Khamul in terms of the overall combat sense.

Glory4gondor wrote:
What is the best use for Khamul the Easterling.Im putting together a 1000pts Easterling force and im not familiar with him. With is ability to get his will back im leaning to use him as a spell slinger. On the other hand he can boost his stats for combat. Any input is appreciated.

In terms of playing against me.....he could have been better. Two factors that largely impeded his usefulness.......

1-I had deployed my cav in a position to prevent him from getting a charge bonus
2-The large number of bows severely limited your choices.

I almost took my watcher/cave troll/goblin army that day. I cant say you would have gotten more usefulness out of him, because if I played my watcher, I would have put him in the middle of where you happened to have a pike block/Khamul within say 4-7 inches of each other and dragged him off his horse and into combat as many turns as I could to waste his will(although with your priority rolls lol I may have never got that chance).

But if say somehow you got him away you could have transfixed and murdered trolls or just slammed goblins the whole game and rarely lost will.

As for the cav, thats basic stuff....if I chase him down with a bunch of foot soldier cav you have nobody specific to have an advantage over and I think the way I play(and Im sure a lot more people) Im happy throwing you 3 riders of Rohan to tie up a powerful unit for 4-5 turns and waste his will/magic casting abilities.

I mean I did it with the men of laketown too of course. The whole formation was left for dead to tie up the dragon, hold off the cavalry, and block off your pikes from getting to my guys earlier.

I thought about many ways to play Khamul. He was my first wraith I believe and I have always wanted to use him.....but like they said other than on a fell beast I can never justify his cost when you can use other wraiths.

But Im also a type of player to never do pure easterlings. Id use Amdur, a Shaman, and a Captain in that order. Then Id use a band of warriors from Mordor.

Id probably use a maxed out Witch King on fell beast. Then, to maximize your potential with your pikemen, who have high D and low strength, Id probably Use Morannons with shields on the front line so theyre all D6 and now have a strength 4 hit, who can probably feint against most good armies.

or Mordor Uruk Hai or even Black Guard though I know theyre rare.

No matter how many times I see him though, I cannot put him in an army of mine. If you wanna use my fell beast next time and just say its Khamul you can try that. But considering I use elves or bowfire often, youll have an issue there also. Depends.