All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:25 am

Post subject: noob starting with dwarves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey folks, here is my story:

I've been painting GW model casually for about 4 years now (not including the 4 space marines i butchered when i was 12, i hate metal). Since i was only really into painting, i haphazardly chose models that looked best to me, some tau here, lizard men there, sprinkle in some wood elves and you have a heap of painted, useless junk.

Then i discovered GW had lotr/Hobbit models. Been a fan of the books and movies since my dad came home with a vhs of the fellowship when i was 8 (also turns out my mom wanted to read me the fellowship when i was like 6, and i turned it down because it wasn't harry potter, what and idiot i was). So i bought the last alliance pack and did up the men, sold them, and did the elves. i loved the models much more, they were proportionate and tolkien, so that was easy.

I played a game with my brother under the watchful eye of the shop owner, elves vs rohan. It was a tiny game, i don't know what points but i had about 12 elves and got my ass beat to the objective and then had circles ran around me. needless to say i got excited and bought some grim hammers, which i was told had the ability to knock troops off horses. Played again a month later after painting and won with that. But, then my brother moved and its been some time since i played those small games under very heavy direction for rules and stats and all the other whathaveyous.

Now i have what i think is enough to put together an actual army, i went with Dwarves cause i love them (they are like stout vikings, so cool) and painting them is tons of fun. Im just sort of at a loss as to how to put them together in a proper army. i was thinking Dwalin leading Grim Hammers, and Balin leading Warriors of Erebor.

I will be the first to admit, i have nooo idea what i'm doing. i did this because the visual aspects of both match ups flow well, and i happened to have both of them painted. i don't even know what points they are cause i don't have a big rule book.

I also only have Warriors of Erobor, grim hammers, and the company from escape from goblin town. (ive also got all the goblins, and pack of hunter orcs on fell wargs my shop owner thew in for free cause im the only person who buys hobbit and he wants them off his shelves, but im looking to sell or trade those)

I am bubbling with questions, all of which i don't expect you folks to answer.

-Does this match up work Well?
-What is the logical next group of dwarves to buy?
-If this does work, can i bother you for tactics so i don't look like a fool?

I'm super excited to hear your thoughts and or answers. any help you can shoot my way is greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: super nood; halp me play Dwarves?

PS. nifty forum you have here, i think i'm going to stick around.

edit: ive also got a radagast, and though i promised my girlfriend she could paint the gandalf and bilbo im sure i can use them as well.
 Post subject: Re: noob starting with dwarves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dwarves are the beginner 'friendly' troops. Their High defence means they are hard to kill so you picked well as they are forgiving than say wood elves or goblins if you make a tactical error.

What did you mean by matchup? If you meant the combination of your force? Then its pretty stable, to use it to the best ability what you can do (since you have grimhammers) is have the grimhammers backed up by a erebor dwarf spearmen when they "bash" (knock the enemy model down) because then you will maintain the two attacks because the model will now be trapped allowing the spearmen to strike twice and if they survive they will start the next turn on the ground anyway.

But the best part about dwarves in the new rules are that they can piercing strike (potential strength value increase) if they have a pick or axe.

You can either continue with the erebor theme and get more of what you already have or get some of the older dwarf models. Of these Khazad Guard are fantastic (think grimhammers on roids), Iron guard are also very good, dwarf warriors are the same as erebor warriors and rangers are pretty average, vault wardens can be good but I wouldnt get them just yet. So in summary my advice would be to get some elites from the old list. Khazad and Iron guards led by Balin to keep it in theme with 'company' dwarves. Then have your erebor and grimmhamers led by thorin and dwalin.

Also i would advice you to find some local hobbit gamers. Posting here where abouts you live can help others find you too.

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All the above advice is quite good. I would also recommend adding some of the LOTR range dwarves as this gives you access to 5 additional troop types, as opposed to just 2.

Iron Guard would fit best with what you currently have as pairing them with a Grimmhammer (in a combat vs one enemy) can result in having their 2 attacks doubled to 4 rolls to wound.

As for heroes Balin would fit but he certainly isn't the only good option. There is Dain Ironfoot who is thematic and "The King's Champion" who is my favorite hero, to name a few

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks folks! Iron guard it is, after i finish up my WoE.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Just remember you'll need a hero from the Durin's Folk list to lead them. So a Dwarf Captain, or one of the knees I said earlier

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Now that the Elves from the battle of five armies has leaked, that means more dwarves from the iron hills should be on the way. I maaayyy wait for those to come out. I'm just hoping they come out before i finish painting my Warriors of Erebor.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm excited for those as well. Bolster my Dwarves with some cavalry (I hope)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i heard on a rumour post that they will be on rams. i would Devlan Mud my pants if that was true. well, now im kindof hoping for ponies.