All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:19 pm

Post subject: Questions From a new guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey, I have just returned to SBG. I only played a few skirmishes, but spent a long time setting up. I had just started painting the rest of my figures, but I want to get some action in soon. I have "militia" bands for friends who don't hobby, just some basic infantry (some don't have leaders yet, might need house rules), including a Gondorian Osigiliath force (Faramir and Damrod, Osgiliath Vets, and MT troops), a Rohan including the Prince, some royal guard, and Rohan troops, an Isengard (Scouts, Wildmen, and the Uruk with two machetes, some Moria Orcs, some regular orcs and Black Tower Guards (the one with the shields). Would use house rules for warbands until I bulk them up. I also own the Fellowship of the Ring (metal) and I am wondering if I should have that ready for combat or more for display/scenarios.

But, my main force is dwarves and right now I own Dain and the other Dwarf Leader in the pack (forget his name :roll: ) and a set of Iron Guard and Grim Hammers (use house rule for that set or Gimli), along with a contingent of Dwarf Rangers. I want to know how to get a quick house game going and how to bulk my army up in the future (the militias and my main force). Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Questions From a new guy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome!

Do you have supplement books for any of these forces? These will help you determine what you need to make actual warbands and also play a game. It sounds like you do have enough miniatures to play small games.

The best ways to get miniatures nowadays is through trade (like on here or barter town) or purchasing through second hand sellers like eBay.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sikano wrote:
Welcome!

Do you have supplement books for any of these forces? These will help you determine what you need to make actual warbands and also play a game. It sounds like you do have enough miniatures to play small games.

The best ways to get miniatures nowadays is through trade (like on here or barter town) or purchasing through second hand sellers like eBay.

I have the Hobbit Rule Book, Return of the King Rule Book, and Free Peoples and Kingdoms of Men supplements. I also have the Ruins of Osgiliath glued to a custom made board, with gravel simulating stone. I go to my local Games Workshop and the manager usually helps me out, but I go seldom and just getting back in is hard. A warband needs a hero to lead 12 troops right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Spike117 wrote:
A warband needs a hero to lead 12 troops right?

Up to 12, yes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey Spike, if you are interested in point matches this might help: http://www.lonelyknight.0fees.net/SBG%20v1.58.zip
It's an excel spreadsheet for army building within the current rules.

Within the actual gameplay warbands are not that relevant. Some rare warbands have special rules for members who are close to each other (like the white council) but for the most part they are relevant for deployment, and once that is over everyone is free to do whatever they feel like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey,
Well the best way to get going is to find a friend and get gaming :)
From the sounds of it you've got all the main things you need, models, rules ect. Are your friends interested in playing? If not a good way to get them to give it a go is too give them some cool heroes like the fellowship and get them to battle their way through easily killed things like goblins.

Alternatively you can have a look for opponents around your area on the one ring opponent finder or by checking the GBHL group on facebook.

Hope this helps and welcome back to SBG :)