All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 am

Post subject: Pelennor Fields Assembly (specifically horses and bases)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all

Very new back into the hobby! Played when first released and since then lost touch. Love the new box that's just come out.

I've been assembling the riders of rohan and noticed the bases for them all come with pre cut hexagonal holes for the horses. These holes fit the new theoden model perfectly however as the ROR are the old sculpts they still have the circular pegs for attaching. Although they do fit (loosely) I just wondered if this was correct or if I would be better off cutting the old holes out like normal?

Also I notice there are two holes precut in each base. And on the spurs there are some small 'tuffs of grass' that look like the horse and one of these tuffs go into these two holes, would that be correct?

Many thanks for your help!
 Post subject: Re: Pelennor Fields Assembly (specifically horses and bases)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello. Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby. Glad to hear the box set has drawn in some old hands. As to your questions I would say that you could likely get away with using the hexagonal holes so long as you apply a strong glue and keep the models upright while they set. Opening a new round hole would mean having to fill the other two with something anyway. Which brings us to the grass. Yes, those are supposed to be used to fill whichever hole you do not use to secure the horse to the base. I never really used them myself as I preferred to place small rocks or logs over the holes most of the time to add character to the bases. But they are supposed to be used ad you have guessed. I will say, however, that on the horses that are bent over in more of a curled shape ought to have something like a rock placed under their front hoof to secure the horse and base at two points. That particular sculpt has a tendency to break at the ankle if the model is subjected to regular handling. That grass might be useful for making the second point of contact depending on how you position the model on the base. Hope this addresses your questions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Woodygk3164 wrote:
Hi all

Very new back into the hobby! Played when first released and since then lost touch. Love the new box that's just come out.

I've been assembling the riders of rohan and noticed the bases for them all come with pre cut hexagonal holes for the horses. These holes fit the new theoden model perfectly however as the ROR are the old sculpts they still have the circular pegs for attaching. Although they do fit (loosely) I just wondered if this was correct or if I would be better off cutting the old holes out like normal?

Also I notice there are two holes precut in each base. And on the spurs there are some small 'tuffs of grass' that look like the horse and one of these tuffs go into these two holes, would that be correct?

Many thanks for your help!

One hole for a hoof, one hole for grass.
As for the holes, see if they fit, if not, use an exacto.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Amazing thanks for your helps everyone!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really late to the party here but in terms of letting them set with glue I found that using a small stack of coins to rest the front hoofs on some models made it a lot easier for the plastic glue to set well. I then filled in a bit more with pva/greenstuff just to keep it firm so its less likely to snap (in my head at least)