All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:19 pm

Post subject: Re: Goblin Town Tactics
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

...... now you might as well just play Moria instead.

I have to say that I agree, if you want to use a Goblin Town army stick to Goblin Town miniatures.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bilbo wrote:

I have to say that I agree, if you want to use a Goblin Town army stick to Goblin Town miniatures.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't some sort of Goblin Town Shaman added at some point or another to be honest.

I agree with not allying in though, seems a waste to me.

My SBG WIP thread.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr, what size games do you normally have? This would help us from suggesting things which aren't going to fit.

Do you still set up with the warbands rules? (deploy in groups of 12 or less?) This could help you a little in terms of splitting his army up or getting in a better position to do so. As you aren't playing warbands, allies aren't really a concern anyway.

I assume that we are talking a fairly small size, since he only has 1 captain. In this case there aren't a great deal of options but I think using what you have will give the best results. Start with the goblins and goblin king, then ally in the marauder and wargs. If you have the model/points, my preference would be for a troll over the wargs. I find trolls to be a little more effective & scary - just ensure that they don't get surrounded. The wargs are great for maneuvering into a good position to break lines, but I found as a Moria player that I already didn't have enough room to get more models into combat AND/OR I wanted to spend the points on having more numbers to replace those I lost in the front lines.

My Moria tactics vs dwarves was just to get the surrounds on the flanks and then in subsequent turns move troops in to the rear of the lines to get them trapped. You have to pick your fights to give you good chances to wound. If you just go 2 vs 1 in a standard line, you will most likely end up losing as they have better armour, fight and in the end, courage. Sometimes you should throw 4 into a fight and leave other goblins to fight a 1v1 or worse. 4v1 means you should get the kill which means you have 2 extra goblins free. if you were to leave it as a 2v1 or worse, you would basically be 50/50 on winning the fight then still having to wound. If you can, the turn you charge might be better to only engage the ends of the lines with a 3/4v1 and don't engage the centre until next turn.

Sometimes I would use captains towards the centre of lines, burn their might to win the fight and get a kill so you can get the dwarves separated and get more surrounds happening.

The goblin scribe can be handy, but the reinforcements don't change the break point, so it may be more beneficial to get more troops on the field instead. Shamans can be very good if you have to charge terrifying enemies and other courage checks, but this isn't something you normally face vs dwarves. The goblin king can be used to keep your troops on the field instead. Fury can be good, but again you might find it better to just have the troops on the field to begin with, rather than counting on the saves to be made. I would only take the shamans if you find the need for them on top of the fury.

As Damian said above, trolls and shades will do it for you if you have the numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like to ally in a troll, and use it to psych out my opponent. Trolls are pretty dangerous, and they'll force your opponent to choose what to shoot at: the troll that'll smash his shieldwall, or the horde. As others have said, Grinnah is very nice for his points (extra might, special rule and weapon over a regular captain), and I feel the Goblin Scribe is rather useful too.

What you need is something to break the original ranks. Once the dwarf shieldwall has been broken, your goblins have a chance to outnumber and overpower (3/4 to 1) the dwarves.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ChrisC wrote:
Bilbo wrote:

I'd be very surprised if there isn't some sort of Goblin Town Shaman added at some point or another to be honest.

I agree with not allying in though, seems a waste to me.

Ido hope that we don't get a shaman as I feel the scribe is enough and makes the army feel unique! Also the range has not really taken off like the last one and I simply do not think that we will see all the G.W. invented miniatures as with LOTR.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's 500 points, and we do set up using war band rules.
I was thinking:
Goblin King
Goblin Scribe
Grinnah
41 Goblins

I could then go for 6 Warg Riders, 3 with shield, 3 with spear and shield( to help break his line) with Orc Captain/Sharku (who has the crucial extra might) which is 503 points, which he'll allow, or drop Grinnah and a few goblins, and take Gollum instead.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My 500pt from a recent tournie was

Goblin King
Scribe
Grinnah
28 goblins
Fimbul
5 hunter orcs on fell wargs
1 hunter orc on foot with horn (so the scribe and king are C4)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For a "horde" army, that's a pretty small list cereal_thief. Did it get you anywhere? Got no access to hunter orcs myself :(

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Having played the army (and used similar) you use the scribe to bring on more reinforcements.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Any of the 3 trolls but especially Bill adds a lot to Goblin town, Shades always help goblins too.
Southernfairy is right as usual :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This would be my 500 points:

Warbands 1, 2 and 3:
Goblin King
Goblin Scribe
Goblin Captain
28 Goblins

Warband 4:
Shade
Cave Troll

497 points.

2 monsters to keep your opponent occupied and a Shade helping your goblins win fights. Should be a fun list.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

At 500pts a horde is 35 models or more and I have 38 plus the warg riders have wargs with courage 3 which means they will probably stick around if the rider dies.

It did ok (3 wins from 7) except Goblin king had an improbable weekend.
4 courage tests at C4 +2 will (0might) and I failed them all. I think I worked out that it was a 92% chance of passing this test each time so the chances of failing them ALL is something like 0.004% chance of happening... but it happened and I laughed... and sulked (ask Dr Grant, I did sulk a lot). Each time he ran it was at a key moment and could have swang the game the other way... but he ran... and ran... and ran lol
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isilduhrr wrote:
It's 500 points, and we do set up using war band rules.
I was thinking:
Goblin King
Goblin Scribe
Grinnah
41 Goblins

I could then go for 6 Warg Riders, 3 with shield, 3 with spear and shield( to help break his line) with Orc Captain/Sharku (who has the crucial extra might) which is 503 points, which he'll allow, or drop Grinnah and a few goblins, and take Gollum instead.

Definitely drop a few Goblins to include Gollum, the Scribe will soon generate more, and pray they don't have legolas to insta hit the Scribe!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just carry the scribe away from him... 2 goblins can carry it faster than legolas can move n shoot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goblin king had an improbable weekend.
4 courage tests at C4 +2 will (0might) and I failed them all. I think I worked out that it was a 92% chance of passing this test each time so the chances of failing them ALL is something like 0.004% chance of happening... but it happened and I laughed... and sulked (ask Dr Grant, I did sulk a lot).

Bizarelly enough I have had precisely the same results with a Goblin Town Army, I love the Army and think its great but, the great wobbly fat one always wets his tenor lady and scarpers at crux point!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
Just carry the scribe away from him... 2 goblins can carry it faster than legolas can move n shoot

Legolas can fire one shot which always hits regardless of anyone in the way etc, and even if he rolls a 1 to wound can expend 2 might to gaurentee a kill, if the Scribe fails his fate, which means that in two turns he can pretty much guarentee the Sribe is dead, if he cant find complete cover!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes but he still has to be within 24 inches and not have moved over 3inches.
Seeing as wood elves generally only have 3 bands at 500pts you can set the scribe up after and just go away from legolas n run run run away
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good point! So he has still a couple of turns to be carted off to cover!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah, and then it is drawing legolas forward, something we all hope for.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually I think that we will see him fielded quite a lot over the next couple of years being the poster boy for DoS , particularly with new players and as we are going to see at least one new sculpt!