All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:21 am

Post subject: A few questions about banners
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey there,

I just started the SBG, and I'm still building my first army. To that end I have a few questions about banners that would help in my planning.

The first one I think I can answer for myself, but I just want to doublecheck:
-When a unit with a special banner, like Gamling or Halbarad, are killed, can someone else pick up their banner?
I'm guessing the answer to this one is no, because only that one specific unit has that banner in his wargear.

The other ones regarding cavalry I'm not so sure about:
-When a cavalry banner is killed, can a cavalry model touching his base pick up the banner?
-When a cavalry banner's horse is killed, does he keep the banner after being dismounted?
and also, if his horse is killed, can a adjacent horseman pick up the banner to become the new mounted banner bearer?

I'm sure I can think up some more questions later, but this will do for now :mrgreen:
 Post subject: Re: A few questions about banners
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The One Ring rulebook states

"If a warrior carrying a banner is killed, a friendly Warrior in base contact can immediately drop all the equipment he is carrying and pick up the banner... If the banner is not picked up immediately, it is lost in the mayhem of battle."

Also heroes cannot pick up banners. You are correct in assuming the special banner bonuses do not apply. The banner can still be used as a normal 3" banner if picked up.

Regarding cavalry
1) No, cavalry models would have to dismount to collect the banner (dropping all their equipment). It would be almost impossible for a mounted rider to scoop up the banner from the floor whilst moving!

2) They usually drop all equipment when thrown, so I'd say no he doesn't keep his banner unless he rolls a 6 on the thrown rider chart, but I'm not sure about that one... we usually play a house rule whereby if a warrior is in base contact with the thrown rider (the banner bearer), they may pick up the banner.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nothing in the rules about having to dismount. You have to be in B2B contact when the bearer is killed, look at it as scooping the banner up before it falls or the gallant banner bearer passing on his flag befor falling from his wounds. Best check individual rules for special banners as the rules do vary between them.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

To be fair there is nothing in the rules about this full stop, nothing in the FAQ pdfs either. It's an interesting one, i do see your point hithero but the rules state a "friendly Warrior in base contact." Warrior with a capital W (GW usually use correct grammar) in my books is standard infantry, not knights/mounted units which is why i'd say you have to follow the dismounting rules to "pick up the banner". It does state 'pick up' not 'grab' or 'take from' but again that's subjective. I guess you could play it either way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warriors are cavalry also though. You have two types of models Warriors and Heroes there is no third type concerning cavalry, and if there is nothing (which there isn't) in the rule book to say that cavalry cannot pick up banners then you follow the normal rules.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

One thing though, p48 first paragraph states: "We refer to all mounted models as cavalry" - you could claim the wording covers Warriors on foot only but it probably wouln't stand up in court let alone in a Games Workshop store lol

It seems GW haven't covered this properly, but as Hithero says you must follow the normal rules if it isn't stated.

For ease of game-play Cavalry could therefore move into base contact and collect the banner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@lorderkenbrand, there are only Heroes and Warriors, all 'cavalry' and 'monsters' are either Heroes or Warriors.