All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:46 pm

Post subject: Can siege ladders go up in the turn they were picked up?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In the rules it states that once a siege ladder is picked up, it cannot be moved further that turn. It also states that once a siege ladder is moved into contact with the wall, it is immediately raised. It also states that when a ladder gets pushed down, it gets placed at the foot of the wall - which I assume means in contact with. My question is, can a siege ladder that has been pushed down and is touching the wall, be immediately raised the same turn it is picked up? Or do you have to pick up the ladder, then raise it the following turn?
 Post subject: Re: Can siege ladders go up in the turn they were picked up?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd imagine once a ladder has been pushed down it is flat on the ground BUT still touching the wall. So there is no need to move any further, simply get 2 or more warriors to pick the ladder up. It may then be raised immediately.

If you push a ladder down in your move phase for instance, the enemy can pick it up in the same turn! This is so that turns don't drag on. Remember warriors cannot climb it in the same turn.

It basically plays that a siege ladder once it reaches the wall, will be in place at the start of every turn should there be enough carriers to raise it when it does get pushed down.

If you have a Uruk Siege Ballista then warriors can ride to the top in the same turn!

Why Mordor forces don't have one at their disposal is beyond me! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks! I had played a game where I had to pick up my ladders then wait til next turn to raise them. I realised this was stupid when I quickly ran out of turns to complete the mission and had only put the siege ladders up about three times!

Actually, I have another question regarding a siege. When a siege tower reaches the wall, warriors on the tower can charge without a barrier penalty. What if a defender wants to charge onto the siege tower? Because, technically, the warriors on the siege tower are jumping down from the crenellations onto the battlement, it makes sense that they don't have to roll for barrier. But if a warrior charged someone up on the crenellations then they are basically attacking an elevated opponent and would they therefore have to roll for barrier? The logic follows that if a defender wanted to actually climb the crenellations and charge onto the siege tower itself, they would have to make a jump check!

Any thoughts on this?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yep you should get a rematch with whoever it was ;)

I haven't got my rulebook to hand (at work) but we play it so that a simple climb test IS needed. Climbing rules are in the main rules manual. No jump test.

Remember when the ramp is lowered it often crushes some of the crenellations (as seen in the film). It creates a bridge of sorts, so no gaps. You could actually play it so that no climb test is needed. Its up to players really :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks. I was actually thinking of the crenellations being crushed last night. Given that the rules omit anything about jump or climb tests for charging siege towers I think I will assume that the crenellations are indeed crushed.