All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:26 pm

Post subject: help me define 'within'
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My opponent won a Domination game by moving his Spider Queen to her limit, then discharging broodlings who raced to an unclaimed Domination point, barely touching the perimeter, and claiming the 3 victory points to win. I trust this player: honest and quick to give way on controversial points (which makes it easy to give way back, of course). He was able to cover the full distance only because he defined 'within' as the base touching the outer perimeter of the 3 inches, both for originating the broodlings and touching the Domination point: picture 99% of the base outside the 3 inch diameters. I assume it is legal...yet when I set up my army 'within' six inches of the edge, then the full base is inside the six inches. How does this differ? Or is 'within' used for touching, and 'inside' for 'full base behind the line' ?
 Post subject: Re: help me define 'within'
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In LoME I believ it said specificly bases wholy within. Haven't checked oyt the new stuff yet.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Legions of Middle Earth no longer has any standing, unfortunately.

I would say that for deployment (within 6" of board esge, within 3" of spider queen etc), the whole base must be in. For within range (3" of banner or 3" of objective or a spell/shot), the base needs to be partially in that range.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Within is measured from edge to edge, so thats what you do, if the spiders base edge is 3" away from the objective markers edge, then it is within.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For 40k and Fantasy "within" is the edge of the base, so for example you deploy out of a vehicle within 2", so the back of your base is touching to 2" perimeter. The same applies here too.

So the deployments usually say "within 12" of the center line", meaning there is a full 12" gap between the base and the center, but you are still within 12" of it.

Another example is infiltrators for 40k, and scouts for fantasy, you deploy "at least 12" away", so you're not "within 12 inches" so can't possibly charge first turn (40k anyway)
If they add the word "wholly" to the sentence then the entire base must be within the perimeter.

I fear that this isn't clarified in the rulebook?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hithero is correct.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Legions of Middle Earth no longer has any standing, unfortunately.

I would say that for deployment (within 6" of board esge, within 3" of spider queen etc), the whole base must be in. For within range (3" of banner or 3" of objective or a spell/shot), the base needs to be partially in that range.

I agree with this point ^ within and within range are the two terms in question. The spider queen broodlings must end their movement within 3" ie. the whole base has to be within 3" of the spider queens base

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have not found the words 'within range' used...only 'within' for broodlings, banners and scenario objectives. For the last two, I've always assumed it is base to base. A banner would be more useless than it already is if a whole base had to be inside 3" to get the fight bonus. As it is, if even part of the fight is 'within', the friendly model gets the bonus. That implies base to base to me.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

By those standards, when rolling a 1-3 for deployment, you can be 11" from the board edge and 12" from the centre because some of your base is still in the the 12" range?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've always gone base to base as it says in the very front intro of the rulebook under "measuring"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
By those standards, when rolling a 1-3 for deployment, you can be 11" from the board edge and 12" from the centre because some of your base is still in the the 12" range?

I now think so, yes. Even though the words "in the deployment zone, within 12"m " imply 'wholly within' to me, the simplicity of Base to Base overrules what it implies to me. And this is the whole reason for my original question: this lack of distinction. My opponent won the game by using Base to Base as the sole difination for 'within', and I think now that he was right.