All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:28 am

Post subject: Dividing fights
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If I have priority, I get to divide the fight itself, "But not the spear support," said my opponwnt. "Spear support is not technically part of the fight, therefore priority does not let you divide it." Good argument...is that true?
 Post subject: Re: Dividing fights
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I would agree, if a spear model is touching two supportable models in a fight, the controlling player gets to decide which fight to support.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yup, opponent was correct. Spear is not part of the fight, hence you can shoot at spearmen if you're both good and evil and you don't have to kill (and you can't kill) the spearman during heroic combat (or normal combat for that matter).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes--"don't have to kill the spearman in a Heroic Combat"--a handy nuance to remember, assuming my hero can get around him to the more important target.

Love this forum.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Figured I'd piggyback off of this question.

If you priority you are allowed to divide fights? Because we have always played charging kinda 'separates' fights.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RyuAzai wrote:
If you priority you are allowed to divide fights? Because we have always played charging kinda 'separates' fights.

Yep, p17 under "Fights"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So, so far example this happens.

A cave troll is fighting a man, and another man charges the cave troll, and after which three orcs charge the man who charged the cave troll.

Though the thing is the man who charged is on the opposite side of the cave troll as the other man, and other battles are taking place on either of their side that this man could no way get to the other man.

Does the person with priority decide if the man and cave troll battle gets split up? Because technically speaking the orcs that charged the man could not reach the other man to wound him, but if in the same fight would be allowed to roll as such.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As long as every model still gets to fight you can split it however you like.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RyuAzai wrote:
Does the person with priority decide if the man and cave troll battle gets split up? Because technically speaking the orcs that charged the man could not reach the other man to wound him, but if in the same fight would be allowed to roll as such.

You're overthinking it :) The person with priority breaks up the fights, but it still has to make sense. You can't move models to fight a *different* model than the one they charged (or who charged them). And you can't move the models around, except for the merest sliver for clarity. Basically, they must remain in contact with at least one of the models they were in contact with when they charged or were charged.

The only way to break up the fight you described is the 3 orcs on the man they charged, and the troll on the other man. And all the player will do is move the troll 1mm away from the man that charged him so that it's visually obvious who's fighting who.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was actually using an example from the fight I was posting about in another thread. That situation happened, and I had the fight break off into two fights though my friend was a little wary if that was following the rules. (I had priority that round, despite not realizing that is who breaks it up.)

What you say confirms the logic I used in that moment talking to my friend.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

pretty much its impossible to have a 2v2 fight, its only possible to have like 1v1+. If you ever do get a 2v2 split it into 2 1v1s.

Also gratz whafrog for becoming a ringwraith.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It is often VERY helpful when dividing the fights and choosing the order in which they resolve to look for opportunities to either Trap your opponent or else free some of your models from being trapped.

Models in a Fight can't "Make Way" if you loose the fight and need to move back. But once their Fight is resolved they can then Make Way for friendly models in another fight that resolves after. So if you have someone trapped by a nearby Fight, don't make the mistake of resolving a Fight that may change that.

In your specific example above it is very possible that you have the Troll "Surrounded" based on the position of the Man and Orcs in the second fight, even more so if there are any terrain features in the area. It is even more likely that the Man in the second Fight is trapped by the Orcs. Now, if you do happen to win the fight roll with the Man vs. the Troll, the chance for double strikes is really good so you can resolve it first. Or if you decide to shield with that Man and he happens to win (but strike no blows) then at least that fight will be resolved and you have a chance of not having your Man surrounded in the other fight.

It's been a long time since I've read the rules and may be using the terms slightly off, but I'm pretty sure the concept is still accurate. There are many players here lucky enough to have played far more recently than I that will clarify if I goofed something.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com