All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:22 pm

Post subject: Shooting question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have been using an isengard troll recently in my last few games. I like to keep it behind my troops until the battle lines clash, so that he can't be easily shot. Some of the people I play against think they can shoot the troll since it is so much taller than the rest, but I tell them that they can, but "in-the-way" rules apply. Am I correct?
Also, there was one situation where this happened and my opponent was up on a wall. They thought this was an even more clear shot. Also, how close to the wall do I have to be before they can no longer shot me from atop the wall?

Thanks!
 Post subject: Re: Shooting question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Correct, in the way rules apply. But it's not automatic, if they are on a wall it's likely they have a clear shot. In the last game I played, an elf was on a 2" high boulder, and had a clear shot of a Mordor troll behind rows of Uruks. You have to get to the model's eye level and look. If any part of the target (not including decorations, tails, manes, and weapons) is obscured, an in the way roll is required.

As for how close to the wall: technically if they're out of sight from the model's eye view they can't be shot, but I'd probably allow a lean-over shot if the width of the wall was less than 1/2 or 1/4 the height of the model.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really like the idea of a lean over shoot , I can imaging that defenders would really have to do that although they would be very exposed and maybe their shot would be less accurate , so to mirror this perhaps a minus to their shoot value or even a roll to see if they slip and fall - on a 1-2 the archer falls to his death 3-4 any enemy arches gain plus 1 to thier shoot value to symbols his exposed state 5-6 all is ok. Maybe that's a bit too hard I don't know but I certainly like the idea
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know you've been around a while too, D0Cdeath, but just as a reminder one of the nice things about SBG is the overall simplicity. There are not a heck of a lot of situational rules which helps the game flow rather than resorting to a chart lookup fest. The model's eye view and WYSIWYG resolves the majority of LoS questions as whafrog pointed out.

SBG does have rules for barriers and I believe they basically consider if you are in base contact with the barrier you can shoot any target on the otherside of the barrier without an "in the way" (someone please correct if wrong). As such I'd suggest that any model on a wall but in direct contact with an edge they can see over* would be able to fire directly down by leaning over.

* If the wall you are standing on is fortified with battlements (crenellations(sp)) then typical LoS rules apply. If you are standing in a gap that you can see through then you can look and fire down. If you are hidden behind a high point then you can't.

Just a suggestion.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've actually only just started playing SBG , Wotr being the game I learnt to play first. What does WYSIWYG mean?
Up till recently we've play once an attacker reaches a wall he is not in line of sight of the defender who's stood on the wall above , hence the reason for my musings thanks for your enlightenment :D
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What You See Is What You Get

It is often used to reference models (such as "only my Riders of Rohan firing a bow are equipped with them" is common way of dealing with the 33% rule for RoR). But in SBG it handles most LoS issues.

Basically, get behind your model if at all possible and look at things from their perspective. I've even seen some periscope like devices just to help with this on a larger table.

If you are high enough that you can see back-row troops without any front model obscuring a part of the target then there's no "In the way" roll (there are exception parts listed that don't count but I don't wan't to misquote here as I don't have my book handy). Another useful time for this is deciding who can charge since if your model can't see the model it wants to charge then you can't do it.

SBG can get pretty granular on model placement for purpose of managing Zones of Control and limiting charge/shoot options. It's almost an art within the game's Movement phase.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes I played my first game at my local GW yesterday and I'm being to realise how important the move of each individual troop is , at the moment I'm still in Wotr mode.