All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:34 pm

Post subject: LoTR (not Hbit): In the Way
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hello all, been far to long. Life decided to get busy and interfere with my fun time.

Just a quick question, and this is for the LoTR rules - not the new Hobbit rules.
Our group got new blood recently and there are some difference of opinions on interperting a few rules. The question, that has to get to rest, deals with Shooting.
We all know what constitues "In The Way" for shooting: walls, windows, bodies, trees, etc. What my group is debating on is if an archer in question is able to "see" the required target...but...the shot goes over the base of a model (in a fight or not)....does that constitue as "In The Way"? In the LoTR rule book it states that the base represents a models area of movement and fighting; meaning, to my interpertation, that the models is not static. So, again, does the base of the model represent "In The Way"?

Thanks in advance - Scar

Post subject: Re: LoTR (not Hbit): In the Way
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No it doesnt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As a convenient rule of thumb, a shot passing over a base should roll for In The Way (if permitted - Good models cannot, for instance). However, the rules as written permit models to swivel AT ANY POINT so rules-lawyers have been known to rotate their models to favour or inconvenience missiles as appropriate, since it's the model that matters and not the base.

In simple terms it's a body and not a base that counts for In the Ways (with the specific exclusions of weapons, tails, etc, as in the rule book).
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I still do not follow. On page 14-15 it states what a model has to do to move by other models. Actually has to leave enough space for the base to clearly pass between a models base and another obsticle. Even goes on to state that the "base conveniently defines the space it needs to move and fight", so rotating a model still does not negate its occupied area.

Also if we follow rule-lawyers, then the example on pg25 showing "In The Way" is wrong. For the rules state a "body" is: a model's torso, limb*s*, and head. The sentence is written with "and" not with "or". Also it is written "limbs" not "limb". So the orc behind the wall can not be shot for we cannot see the orc's legs. Unless GW seperates arms as limbs and legs and ....legs.
Is there a FAQ that I have missed clarifying this rule.

Now, I am in the camp of typhoon2. I am just stating the above to get answers, for I am now truly confused.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As long as you can see a part of the model, i.e a leg, arm, torso, or head, there is line of sight and it is a legit target. May I just point out that the Hobbit rules are the current LoTR rules, they are not two separate games and you play lotr using the new Hobbit rules.