All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:15 pm

Post subject: LOTR rules in Hobbit SBG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I understand that the Hobbit rulebook says I can still use old LOTR sourcebook rules for my games, and I know that there are often very many versions of one guy like say King Aragorn or Fellowship Aragorn, but fellowship Gandalf is identical to Hobbit rulebook Gandalf. Except for the cart they have exactly the same name and profile and everything, except for 3 attacks on the newer one? In these cases which do I use? Do I treat these as 2 seperate moels? Are there any other situations similar to this? Thanks in advance.

PS. On my only other post I wanted to post something but it was something like 2am and I swore :P. I'd forgotten until I got an email saying my post had been disapproved by the mods. I think that its great that this is a nice wargaming community monitored by mods as I've seen plenty of rampant spite in other sites. Thumbs up.
 Post subject: Re: LOTR rules in Hobbit SBG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Greetings, and welcome to the One Ring!

You want to use the latest published version of a particular profile, but notice that some characters have multiple profiles and can even vary depending on which army list you are using. Aragorn, Gandalf, Thranduil, and several others all have this issue.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's very much a grey area and the FAQs are not completely clear and somewhat contradictory. The way it has been ruled by the GBHL Community FAQ (so for use in all British indie SBG tournaments) is that if the old profile has different equipment then you may still use this profile as long as you are using it as part of the list it originally came from.

So, you can take Gandalf on his cart/Shadowfax as part of a Fellowship warband but not as part of a White Council warband alongside Radagast on his sleigh or Elrond on horse.

Similarly, if you want to take Thranduil without bow or armour then he can only lead Mirkwood Rangers or Palace Guard, not Warriors from the Free People's book.

Ultimately we decided that GW are probably not trying to retire models/equipment from the game so these old profiles should still be available as they represent the character at a different time in Middle Earth history.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Awesomesauce. Quick note is I have no idea why I thought Gandalf had 3 attacks. Perhaps because he is so awesome. But Gandalfs cart is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Thanks for the reply guys!

Unrelated: Do either of you have a Forlong the Fat model you don't want? I mean he is THE BEST. I'm willing to buy him off you or something like that.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't have one. We do have a trading post here on the forum, but note that we don't allow cash transactions. Good luck finding Forlong!

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Erunion wrote:
I don't have one. We do have a trading post here on the forum, but note that we don't allow cash transactions. Good luck finding Forlong!

Oh ok. Is that to prevent scammers or something? It'd be ok if I got them to put it on ebay right?

Thanks! How could you not love Forlong the FAT??? I would trade for him but despite more than half a decade of dedicated hobbying, I just started LOTR/Hobbit SBG a week ago:p, so I don't have anything to really trade.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes, there are legal reasons why we can't allow that. Your best bet would be to watch eBay and see if he pops up, since you don't have anything to trade.

Battle Companies