All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:00 am

Post subject: Combat whilst climbing?
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Can models fight whilst climbing, and if so how does the combat work. Does the higher model count as defending terrain or something? Hence could I position cave dweller models up a wall to gain a defensive advantage?
 Post subject: Re: Combat whilst climbing?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If two models are climbing, I do not believe that can fight each other.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think I know enough to point you in the right direction:

The rules you're after are located in the "siege" section. Basically, the models are "fighting over a barrier", with the model at the top of the obstacle defending (advantage) and the climbing model attacking.

I *think* that if the attacking model looses the fight then he will fall, but it really would be a good idea to check this. If nobody has replied further when I next have a chance I'll look it up for you properly.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay cheers guys :)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The latest Hobbit rules are real pain.
I mean on pp 28 it says that if it doesn't look cool to put a figure on it then it is unscalable... which is BS really. The older rule book was better in this regard.

So the rule book says if it is a shear face like a fortress wall and you cant actually ballance or sit your model on it then it is un scalable... Wow.. theregoes al teh advantages of a cave dweller gone... like they have so little anyway... lets just nerf them some more because we can't figure out how to deal with climbing... phhew!

However immediately prior to the Ă¼nscalable terrain"paragraph we have the "climbing very tall structures"paragraph which says - basicly use dice to show how many inches up the model is and leave the model at the base. These writers have basicly contradicted themselves.

So anything you want to climb needs to be at about 45 degrees slope or less... apparently? And a moria goblin can't climb anything steeper than that.. apparently?

Let alone have a fight on the playground slide at the same time! The rues are ludicrous really.

So the rules really are only about fighting between platforms or best case senario a 45 degree ditch slope thingy with a warrior behind a wall at the top.

So... lets say your having a friendly game and your have both ignored the rubbish new rules and and have to bands of moria goblins fighting each other on the columns of the dwarrow delf .. one lot coming up the other lot coming down... the answer is use the stairs rules... if the one loosing he fight is on the down hill sie it might fall fall... its a 50/50 roll of a fall before strikes are even made... you could even do the same thing for the goblin above that looses...

However .... that falling goblin may take out other models on the way down... figure that one out.

In a nut shell.... don't climb walls without a ladder .. and even better don't escalade at all if you can help it..it's risky.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh sorry one other thing... there is no defending barrier for fighting while climbing a wall or anything.... I think it was different in the old rules... you know the curved stairs of a castle being made to suit right handed defenders and all that stuff. But htey dropped it and it's just the down hill loser may fall over when backing away and end up prone.

So if your fighting on a climb... say while climbing ropes on a Corsair ship... there is no barrier in the fight at all.

you would have to have a set of platforms to get a barrier rule ...

hope this all helps... it's been interesting for me to look it up too.
P.S pp 89 in the new book.