All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 pm

Post subject: Deploying the Mirror of Galadriel
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Free Peoples FAQ document says that in scenarios where Galadriel appears from the edge of the board, the mirror of Galadriel is deployed within 6 inches:

Q: In Scenarios where models move onto the board, how are stationary
models such as the Mirror of Galadrielâ„¢ deployed? (p.23)
A: When Galadriel has moved onto the board, deploy the Mirror of
Galadriel anywhere within 6" of her.

Is this immediately that Galadriel moves onto the board (as she enters the board edge) or is it once she has completed her move onto the board?

Basically, does the mirror go within 6 inches of the board edge, or can she move 6 inches, then throw the mirror another 6 forward for a total of 12 inches?
 Post subject: Re: Deploying the Mirror of Galadriel
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it is the latter interpretation. She moves onto the board, rather than being deployed at the edge and then moved. Her deployment is complete after she finishes her move so that is when the mirror should be placed. Otherwise, one would have to interrupt her deployment to place the mirror and then finish her move afterwards. Which seems weird. Plus, the Answer says the mirror is placed "when Galadriel has moved onto the board." Which is past tense and does not support the notion that her move should be interrupted to place the mirror.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, I think you're right ... placing it up to 12 inches into the board, once she's finished her move, seems the most natural interpretation of it.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Out of curiosity ... do people find the mirror useful in games? Particularly if you had a scenario deploying in the middle of the board, and put Elrond or some other heroes nearby would that make them almost invulnerable? But I guess they might need to move away to reach objectives.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I do not have any experience with the mirror myself and I have not heard of it ever putting in much real work in games around the forum. There was once a scheme that used outriders (who used to have fate) and the mirror to have no bow limit and basically regenerating wounds. Aside form that your guesses are as good as mine as to the actual effectiveness. It might make Galadriel harder to kill if you wanted to try for a defensive shooting army supported by her blinding light.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks again. I'll have to test it out in a couple of games. Without trying it, it seems like it could be pretty handy in a hero-heavy army if you start off in one of the scenarios deployed in the centre, but I guess it could be wasted points if you need to move around more.