All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:01 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I wasn't preaching, General Haar!! In case you went "whizzing past" my post, let me point out that I quoted only 1 posting..

I didnt' want to point blank accuse that person that made the negative post - I figured quoting him was enough.

In case you haven't read most of my posts on this site, TLA, Adeptus, etc - I'm very positive and polite 99% of the time..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm not going to get into a childish argument here. Just be careful with your wording. "People" generally implies a group, not a single person.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Haar - I agree. We shouldn't be "childish."

Your point has merit. I will choose my words more precisely in the future.

I'm officially extending you an olive branch - and declare a truce! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This topic has caused no end of problems/arguements.
If people would like me to stop posting ideas up, I will, and one of the administrators can delete this topic.
It doesn't seem worth it, if it's going to cause conflist amongst members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Don't worry about it. You can't please everyone.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm sure 'fair' and not 'cash' was the first thought to enter Gw's mind...

Anyway, there is nothing stopping you from doing what you want with the rules. If nobody ever tinkered with hows things are, we'd still be playing 1st edition Warhammer, 1st edition Warhammer 40k, 1st edition Blood Bowl...

There have been countless rule sets published over the years for gaming with, so, why not have a bash at writing your own. Start from the ground up, read over a few sets, pick the bits you like, change the bits you don't, then you'll have your own game at the end of the day.

Don't feel constrained by what GW has already created, hell, they've made stuff up too, so it's hardly an issue.

Mould your own Middle-earth. Nobody HAS to play by your rules, but then, nobody HAS to play by Games Workshops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok, thanks gaarew! 8)

I'll have a better think over the weekend on some rule/profile changes! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think it makes no difference how high the fight values are, as has been already mentioned, increasing the range gives better control over the final result (i can testify to the number of tied rolls between Gondor/Rohan and Orcs). So I agree with your values, also, fight has the least effect, so changing in real terms is not as significant.

Personally, I see goblins/orc/uruks in the books as being weak, but being able to deal with hardship best (the shaman's fury spell I think demonstrates this best), so focusing on this may allow for a smaller/stronger evil army than without this ability. In relation to Isengard, the issue is not uruks, but were the man/orc crossbreeds, who were in effect men with orcish traits (think fury).

Also, I disagree with the Wood Elf/ High Elf thing, it has no real meaning, as the groups it refers to contradict themselves (e.g The Monkey Twins are Wood Elves, but Elrond is a High Elf) so if you are going to use distinctions (which I wouldn't, there too mixed) between the Elves, use the distinctions in the Silmarillion, as it will reduce the absurdities like the example above (there's a nice diagram of them in the back).

Finally, the categorisation of men into so many different groups seems unnecessary, make the evil men of the east and south the same stat line, but differentiate through war gear and special rules. Also you have the categories of Numenorian and Dunedain, which are in effect the same thing, use Dunedain for Numenor and Arnor (plus Gondor nobility) (there was less of a wane in the surviving Dunedain in Arnor), and a separate category for Gondor grunts and common soldiers, which is between Rohan and Dunedain.

To sum up, I give the relationship below:

Goblin (ability to climb) = Orc < Uruk < Man-Orc < Men of East and South =< Dunlanding < Rohan = West Gondor (Anfalas/Belfalas) < Gondor (Minas Tirith) =< Gondor (Dol Amroth) < Dunedain < Elf-Man/Elf trained Man (Aragorn/Tour/Turin) < Elf >= Dwalf (Different stat line, but similar in quality)

But if you disagree then I don't mind. My main suggestion is don't make the stat lines dramatically different, make special rules.