All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:39 am

Post subject: The Dwarven War-Room.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fellow Generals!

This is the place where we all can share our tactics for dwarven warfare. Myself I must admit being not too uh.. used to battle, yet. It is quite a diffrence on sitting down writing tactics, and actually experiencing them.

The final goal would be to put together a little war-guide. (Perhaps even an article?) on the art of dwarven warfare.

Nothing enormous, just uh... something like..

Title: Baruk-Khazâd, Khazâd ai-mênu.

A table of contents; which simply is, a table of contents.

The actuall contents, a guide for each troop type at first, explaining what they're used for - especially such as Khazad-Guards, Iron-Guards and Vault Warden Teams.

Army List ideas, 250, 500, 750, 1000 point armylists.

Strategy - Which troops should aim for which enemies, how to place the ballistas to be free to shoot at their targets, where to place the banners and captains... such.

A simple painting guide for common dwarven features - Chainmail, beards, scale-mail... You know.

Perhaps even some how-to's, mining features, pillars, other terrain pieces expected to be found in the Dwarven Holds.

.... *scratches head* Well, that's quite enough to be called a project.

So... Let's get to it, all who wish to come aboard, PM me or write here, and I'll set up some kind of line-of-communication.. somehow. All ideas, c&c, and such things are most welcome.

Before I go, I'll just quote one of the most hillarious actors of all time. "No fighting in the war-room!" - Dr.Strangelove (Peter Sellers.)

Note: Since it is gaming tactics, but a project, but not a work which yet is in progress, I wasn't completely sure of wether I should place the topic here or in the WIP. If a moderator finds this place unfit, and decides to move the topic, please remove this note as it is for no use once the topic would have been moved. However if it is in the right topic, please send me a PM so I can remove the note myself as it is not needed in that case either. Thank you. *bows*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Umm, how about pairing iron and khazad guards. No huge tactic, just a little tip (maybe a small note in the bottom with a smiley :-D ).

BTW, i have some weirdly painted dwarfs with green shields and capes and banners etc. Kinda supposed to be a small personal army of Dvalin (I`m just using a king) that`s leading a glorius travel to attack and win back moria in the end of the third age 8) . I may post some pics if my pc will allow me (i have a mac you see).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool. =)

Yeah, I had a minor battle yesterday, 215pts of dwarves vs 217pts of Easterlings, the dwarves paired up, one using 1h and one using a 2h, it worked quite good. =)

I hope you'll get up the pics =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is an interesting idea.
I would like to help but I'm not of much use at the moment.
But I'm also working on an other dwarven project (the supplement)
so when I feel a bit better I might be a able to help you a bit.(flue) :-X
Good luck.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When I use Iron Guard, I like to protect them with a wall of dwarves with shields or possibly Khazad Guard. This way they are prtected from bow fire. A smart player will shoot them down first.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, Iron Guards would be a high-priority target for ranged units, as they can cause havoc in melee.

I was thinking of something like a formation like this:

VS VS VS VS VS
IG IG IG IG IG
VP VP VP VP VP
KG KG BB KG KG

VS= Vault warden Shield
IG = Iron Guard
VP = Vault Warden Spearman
KG = Khazad Guard
BB = banner Bearer

9 Defense won't be shot down by orc bows, and as they get close enough, the IG toss their axes, run out on the sides to flank the target, the spearmen run up to support the shields, and the Khazad Guards runs out to assist the IG's, whilst the banner just stands there feeling pretty.

That way you've got a solid anchored core at the middle, with the Iron Guards and Khazad Guards on the sides, teaming up as much as possible to use the IG's 2 attacks to win, and the KG's 2-h axe to cleave the oponents down.

It's not a cheap formation though, if it's 6 wide, it's uh.. 295... plus 38 for a banner bearer... 330 points with a Khazad Banner Bearer, so it's nothing you can have several of.

In a "normal" army, you could have one of those, to chase down enemy phlanxes with pikemen and such, or just to release into the hordes of orcs/goblins to butcher as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

And it is expensive money wise as well. I don't really use Vault Warden Teams because they are expensive point wise. I know this is about dwarven tactics, but if you added Guards of the Galadhrim Court, you could get pike support for a nasty front line.

Last edited by Durin's Folk on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Well, money isn't an issue for everyone. It is for me, as a teen, but look at Dorthonion--he's got more miniatures than five hobby stores put together. :-D

I think it looks good, Nurin. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Elves, in the Dwarven Army?! *Breaks the no fighting in the war-room rule and leaps at Durin's Folk*

Uh... Well, yeh.. No long ears in the beard-army. The entire idea is to solve the Dwarves' tactics on their own, not what you can do with other untits. =P

One thing dwarves lack is cavallery, for example, to solve that with other armies is easy, just push in some Galadhrim Knights or Riders of Rohan, or anything, knights of Dol Amaroth.. But then it's not a dwarven army anymore in the same way. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i reckon a good thing would be some dwarf rangers i bouhgt a pack the other day and faced my mate who collects uruks. The rangers cut the uruks up
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lots of warriors, a banner, and Gimli can do a lot. I once put together an army that outnumbered my opponents haradrim (he didn't really like it). While the elites are quite good an army of plain dwarf warriors can go a long way.