All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: Baby/Young Dragon House Rules
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

After seeing the wonderful new Baby Dragon sculpts for WH in WD, I decieded that I really want to buy them.

The eggs will make a great addition to my upcoming 'Dragon's Den' Moria themed board which I am going to be constructing in my spare time.

Because of this I intend to come up with some house rules for the baby dragons (which will be put on circular bases to make them SBG compatible). I am planning to make them about 25-50 points with reduced upgrades, stats and M/W/F

I am open to any suggestions for some rules. I will update this post when I get the Dragons (which will then be added on to my WIP in time).

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject: Re: Baby/Young Dragon House Rules
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The_Dragon_of_Moria wrote:
After seeing the wonderful new Baby Dragon sculpts for WH in WD, I decieded that I really want to buy them.

The eggs will make a great addition to my upcoming 'Dragon's Den' Moria themed board which I am going to be constructing in my spare time.

Because of this I intend to come up with some house rules for the baby dragons (which will be put on circular bases to make them SBG compatible). I am planning to make them about 25-50 points with reduced upgrades, stats and M/W/F

I am open to any suggestions for some rules. I will update this post when I get the Dragons (which will then be added on to my WIP in time).

I suggest something along the lines of a monster/cavalry base creature that already exists. Between a troll and a giant spider...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was thinking along the lines of a 40mm base. I've come up eith a first draft of the rules for them.

Young Dragon-------100 points

-F----S-D-A-W-C-----M/W/F
5/4+ 5-5-2-3--4------0-1-3

Special Rules
Resistant to Magic;Terror: See Main Rules

Draconic Charge: Counts as Cavalry, not Monstrous Mounts. See main Rules.

Draconic Bond: Whether newly born or juvenile, Young Dragons are unwilling to fight to the death and are mostly reliant on there mother for food. They will automaticaly flee if their Mother dies or flees and must take a courage test if they take a wound. In addition, Young Dragon's may only be included in your force if it includes a full grown Dragon.

Wyrms of Legend: Dragons learn from their parents or are born stronger or more intelligent than the rest of their kin. To represent this, a Young Dragon may have up to two of the following abilities at additional cost:

Breath Fire------25 points
Fly---------------25 points
Tough Hide------25 points

-Breath Fire: See Khazad-Dum sourcebook.
Range 12"/28cm, strength 6 hits.

-Fly: The Young Dragon has newly developed wings which can be used for flight. It can fly 12"/28cm. At the begining of the move phase roll a D6 for the Young Dragon. On the roll of a 1 or 2 the Young Dragon cannot get airborne and can only move 6"/14cm that turn.

-Tough Hide: The Young Dragon was born with a stronger skin than normal, the wounds and defence if this Young Dragon are increased by 2.

Last edited by The_Dragon_of_Moria on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The_Dragon_of_Moria wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of a 40mm base. I've come up eith a first draft of the rules for them.

Young Dragon-------50 points

-F----S-D-A-W-C-----M/W/F
5/4+ 5-5-2-5--4------0-1-3

Special Rules
Resistant to Magic;Terror: See Main Rules

Draconic Charge: Counts as Cavalry, not Monstrous Mounts. See main Rules.

Draconic Bond: Whether newly born or juvenile, Young Dragons are unwilling to fight to the death and are mostly reliant on there mother for food. They will automaticaly flee if their Mother dies or flees and must take a courage test if they take a wound.

Wyrms of Legend: Dragons learn from their parents or are born stronger or more intelligent than the rest of their kin. To represent this, a Young Dragon may have up to two of the following abilities at additional cost:

Breath Fire------25 points
Fly---------------25 points
Tough Hide------25 points

-Breath Fire: See Khazad-Dum sourcebook.
Range 12"/28cm, strength 6 hits.

-Fly: The Young Dragon has newly developed wing which can be used for flight. It can fly 12"/28cm. At the begining of the move phase roll a D6 for the Young Dragon. On the roll of a 1 or 2 the Young Dragon cannot get airborne and can only move 6"/14cm that turn.

-Tough Hide: The Young Dragon was born with a stronger skin than normal, the wounds and defence if this Young Dragon are increased by 2.

For such a low price I see to much FATE and WOUNDS. I mean that thing is a real tank and it's not even as high priced as a troll! Zero fate with three wounds would be more acceptable in terms of balance.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree. These things are terribly underpriced. If you would like to get a general idea of how to figure out point values based on stats, check out the old Battle Companies rules and see how it says to calculate the point cost of the heroes.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've changed the costs and wounds. A Dragon, regardless of size, should have 3 fate. Since they are juvenile they shouldn't have any might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lotr cost calculator says 100pt, but thats without the draconic charge rule. maybe keep him at 100, but lower his will by 2 to represent he's only young and easily influenced. that would also free up a couple of points to account for draconic charge 8)