All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:37 am

Post subject: Blackroot Vale: Additional Models
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I absolutely love the knew Blackroot Vale models, and i was thinkng about an amry composed entirelely of them, of course it needs some additions, so here we go.

Right, first of all, i'm sure many of you know that Duinhir had 2 sons which he took with him to Pellenor, they were killed as they brought the archers closer to the Mumakil, attmepting to shoot the creature's eyes, they were trampled. :shock:

I think both sons should share a profile, obviously you can field one without the other if you wish.

Duilin and Derufin

25 points each

F:4/3+
S:4
D:6
A:1
W:1
C:5

Might: 1
Will: 1
Fate: 1

Wargear: Heavy armour, Longbow, and Hand Weapon.

Special Rules: Expert Shot

Not sure how i will convert these so any suggestions welcome.

Also seeing as Blackroot Vale lies next to Dunharrow, indeed the exit is in the province itself; I thought there may be some guards at the exit/entrance to stop people going in, and whatever is in there coming out.

Guardian of Erech

10 points

F:4/-
S:3
D:5
C:4

Wargear: Heavy armour, Spear

Shield: 1 point

Special Rules: Iron Heart: The Guardians have seen far worse on their guard duty than anything witnessed on the battlefield. They never have to test for charging a Terrifying Enemy and all rolls for half the force being destroyed recieve a +1 bonus.

I will be converting these guys from Citadel Guard and maybe a couple of WOMT, again any suggestions welcome.

OERP

Last edited by Highlordell on Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

i would suggest giving Duilin adn Derufin MWF points

like 1 might, 1 will and 0 fates? or even 2 mights.... and maybe give them 2 attacks and wounds? just to make em more heroic like?

I like the warrior of BV, but to distinguish them maybe give them some kinda speial rule with shooting? like re-rolling on 1 to wound? like the Haradrim :rofl:

Well Guards seem nice, though I would give them Spears for free :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You might have a problem with the 33% bow limit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, 33% of rangers carry bows, others don´t... :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes sorry is forgot abut MWF, it was meant to be 1,1,1 like Beregond i'll also edit wargear for the standard unit and points.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Personally, I think I might drop the heavy armor in favor of armor on pretty much everyone except the Erech guard, but otherwise it looks great!
My reasoning is just that a) Duinhir himself isn't wearing heavy armor, and b) they don't strike me as an especially wealthy province. I figure if the ruler of the fiefdom doesn't get heavy armor, most of his warriors shouldn't either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Another Profile:

The Warriors of Blackroot Vale spend most of their time hunting, and fighting the orcs of Ered Nimrais. However some have to trek through the mountains and the woody lowlands of western Gondor, whilst they assist the poorer defended provinces such as Anfalas when they are raided by the bloodthristy Corsairs of Umbar.

Scout

Points Cost: 15

F:5/3+
S:3
D:3
C:4

Wargear: Longbow

Special Rules: Masters of Stealth: Scouts are used to hiding amost the terrain and picking out key targets, staying perfectly camoflaged all the while. When laying down, a Scout counts as wearing an Elven Cloak. Additionally, a Scout can fire a bow whilst on the ground.

Snipers: Scouts excel at taking out important figures using pinpoint and deadly accuracy. If a Scout wounds a target through bowfire, roll another a dice, if a 6 is rolled, another wound is inflicted on the target.

Again, no ideas on conversions, any feedback would be appreciated please![/b]

OERP

Last edited by Highlordell on Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With a little converting some of the Dunedain models might look pretty good as the Scouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The "sniper" rule would be have to be solely on D6 roll of 6, cause this could easily overpower them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah i suppose so, i think with that chage the points seem right aswell.
The idea with those was to use them permenantly behind terrain, totally covered to make up for the 3 Defence.

Quote:
With a little converting some of the Dunedain models might look pretty good as the Scouts.

Thanks General Ellesar, that will be on my shopping list aswell then.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Since you're going for the unarmored woodsmen effect, I definitely think Dunedain of the North are the way to go as the basis for your conversion. Really the only thing I might change is the color scheme and removing the spears from any that happen to be carrying them.

Is there any established Blackroot Vale iconography? You could always paint that onto their cloaks, for identification. Also, are you going to follow GW's Blackroot color scheme, i.e. the brown clothing with blue tunics and grey robes? If so, that paint shceme alone will help to differentiate them.

Lastly, if you have any spare models of Aragorn in his ranger clothes, a simple greenstuff hood could be used to give you another scout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, I have seen some Dunedain on Ebay, and thankfully none of them have spears.
I will have a look for some Iconography, as that would go well on the cloaks of the Guardians of Erech (Citadel Guard).

I also do have a Fellowship Aragorn somewhere, so i will see what i can do.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey, just came up with some more conversion ideas, if you're still lookin' for 'em.

For Duilin and Derufin, what about some of the old ranger of the north models? That is, if you can get your hands on them.

You could do a head swap, paint them in Blackroot Vale colors, and voila!

For Guard of Erech, I think Minas Tirith arms and heads on Numenorean bodies could look really cool. It would be hard to gather up that many Numenoreans, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Please! Keep them coming, that is great idea for the Guardians, and i will keep searching Ebay for some old Rangers of the North.

I do have 8 Numenoreans spare, totally unpainted, so I guess why not.

By the way if you are wondering i am not actually going to start modelling most of this until June WD comes out, because then i have better idea of the stats of the standard warriors, but i will try to get all the supplies i need now.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well Hirumith, I am pleased to say that I have managed to aquire 3 Rangers of the North for a small fee from Ebay. I will begin converting as soon as they arrive, they must be stripped first though.

Anyway here is the picture of the 3 poses. Note that the left 2 are from a different auction, but the show the pose of the figure better, but they are the 3 types i recieved.

So...........which 2 do you people think i should use for Duinhir's sons? Note that the middle and right are wearing helmets, the left one has a hood, not bothered about headgear though really, all 3 have plate armour on though so the heavy armour is sorted.
I was thinking about changing the angle of the spear on the middle one, but i'm not sure about it. Also any ideas on what to do with the remaining one?

Off Topic: Also, i have deleted the the Warrior of Blackroot Vale profile from my original post, as June WD is out soon, and if the profile is the same i don't want to be posting official stats.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My vote for Duinhir's sons are the middle and right figures. Even though you're not too concerned about their headgear, I think the helmets will help to set them apart and give them a more "heroic" appearance.

I agree that the spear looks a tad awkward, though. You could just bend the arm a bit so it isn't pointing downwards over his face, and is a little more up and over his head. Another more extensive conversion would be to rotate his whole forearm and bend him at the wrist, such that he's holding the spear vertically (in that case, I would also cut the spear off and reposition it so that he's holding it pointy-end up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I must point out that...contrary to what i previously thought, the one with spear is wearing a Helmet with a Hood ontop..not sure whether that will make much of a difference. I'm going to go with Hirumith I think but firstly they need to be stripped and they will be put to one side for the time being as i am focusing on getting my Mahud painted.

OERP