All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Post subject: Re: OR's Community Ratings of SBG Units (updated 28/02/11)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

BlackMist wrote:
The ratings clearly don't show the actual usefulness of great majority of those models.

I haven't bothered much with this thread for that reason. FWIW, I don't think there's much value in this rating game as it's mostly contextual. The best I can say is some troops are more "forgiving" than others, such as isengard uruk-hai or dwarves, and some take a bit more finesse, like wood elves or RoR. And some are poor value for their points, like chariots, while some give a bit more for their cost, like morannons. That's about it, the rest is situational and what the general does with what he's got. Nobody is a 1, and nobody is a 10. At best it's a -1, 0, +1 range.

All just MHO of course :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah, this is not the best way to help people with armies. Ratings doesn't show anything it really depends on the player.I've become first at a large tournament in the netherlands with a khand chariot army but I lost very bad with a morannon orc top list. It just depends on your playstyle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What Whafrog said was what I was trying to get across. Some unit's are maybe a couple points too cheap, some too expensive. But how good they are totally depends on who's using them and the in-game situation, (as well as your rolling skills :P ).
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow this has went to a rating thread to an actual discussion. Very well. Sure I agree with most if not all you guys are saying, but this ranking system isn't the end all be all to say how great or bad a unit is. Because as mentioned, the game mostly relies on player's tactics and luck with the rolls as well rather than just model's stats alone.

But as mentioned in the original post this is for fun, and to get a general idea of what players think of models whether they be noobs, experienced, crappy, good, young, old, male, female, gay, straight, muslim, jew, black, white, etc., alien from outerspace, etc... Just as long you've played a few games. It's all just a big collection of opinions, and yes maybe some opinions that are not as experienced as others, but hey I figured that the more rates that come in for a model, the more that there might be some truth behind the final average for it.

I also have cringed after some ratings I've seen here. Like rating an uber-hero model a 1 for being non-competitive, had me wondering what about scenario objectives where using that hero is required or is the objective of the game. But it doesn't matter what I think because it's how that player plays his games with even maybe his own house rules and in the end it's his own unswayed opinion and to me that's what counts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
But as mentioned in the original post this is for fun, and to get a general idea of what players think of models whether they be noobs, experienced, crappy, good, young, old, male, female, gay, straight, muslim, jew, black, white, etc., alien from outerspace, etc... Just as long you've played a few games. It's all just a big collection of opinions, and yes maybe some opinions that are not as experienced as others, but hey I figured that the more rates that come in for a model, the more that there might be some truth behind the final average for it.

I also have cringed after some ratings I've seen here. Like rating an uber-hero model a 1 for being non-competitive, had me wondering what about scenario objectives where using that hero is required or is the objective of the game. But it doesn't matter what I think because it's how that player plays his games with even maybe his own house rules and in the end it's his own unswayed opinion and to me that's what counts.

Perfect said!! :yay: