All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:11 am

Post subject: Thinking of All mounted Mordor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thinking about an all mounted Warg Rider army, anyone tried it or had success with it? It would probably be led by Gothmog and the Dark Marshall.
 Post subject: Re: Thinking of All mounted Mordor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you want a Nazgul in the army I would belive that the Shadowlord would be a better option than the Dark Marshal allthough i definitly see your point seeing as he has a banner effect. I also think it would be good if you had some trackers on wargs, they are far superior over regular archers on wargs.
I haven't tried an army like this myself but I wish you good luck. Tell me how it goes so I can make one of my own.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Remember you have a bit of flexibility as far as a mounted Mordor force goes. You can also have Morgul Knights, and also, Ring Wraith can be mounetd on big ol fell-beasts! If Wargs are your thing, I reckon a force of many Wargs could be effective; they're fairly tough with R2, strike faster than infantry, and you can get some funky characters to boost their ability. However, a force comprised of more than just Wargs may be more fun, interesting to see on the table, and tactically flexible.

Having used a Mordor force which comprised a large mounted section (Utilising the excellent 'Knights of Morgul' host), I ccan say its a fun way to play, and competitive. You can literally run rings around the enemy, project your powerwhere it's needed, an,d, well ranks of (in my case) evil, vicious looking cavalry is an impressive sight!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think he's talking about SBG Hyrda face :)

I've toyed with the idea myself.. just the models aren't attracting me at the moment. Will probably have a go at it at some point.
Either led one of the ring wraiths and/or Gothmog as you also suggested :)

It'll be challenging to use, you'll need to try and learn hit and run tactics, which are hard to pull off as you rely on priority to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have seen a match.The guys were playing the Warg attack scenario from the TTT journeybook.There were 19 Ward riders(Sharku included,yeah no mordor) vs 6 rohirrim Theoden Gamling Captain Aragorn Theoden Legolas and Gimli.All were mounted(expect from Gimli of course).The wargs win but with heavy loses.But if you number it it was an unfair match as good force had double points.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have seen a match.The guys were playing the Warg attack scenario from the TTT journeybook.There were 19 Ward riders(Sharku included,yeah no mordor) vs 6 rohirrim Theoden Gamling Captain Aragorn Theoden Legolas and Gimli.All were mounted(expect from Gimli of course).The wargs win but with heavy loses.But if you number it it was an unfair match as good force had double points.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This may not suit your theme, but you might want to consider allying Wild Wargs; they would really help boost your numbers.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
This may not suit your theme, but you might want to consider allying Wild Wargs; they would really help boost your numbers.

True, but I would much rather pay the extra 3 points for a mounted Tracker and get both an archer and a cavalry model...

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels" - Chariots of Fire