All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:57 am

Post subject: Sieze the Prize tactic and rules
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How much of the following is House Rules (from an Aussie Monsters & Heros tournement) vs. official rules?
"Any model may dig up/spot the prize. Yes, even Mumakil." Nothing (I could find) specified about digging or carrying, only picking up
"Only man sized on foot may pick it up. If you do not have a man-sized figure, you can only draw at best." Official, at least the first part.
"The prize can be handed off at the start of the models move to ANY model in base contact." Rules on "Carryijng Light Items" (MoM pg 72) do not specify WHEN in the move phase...so this 'at the start' is only a house rule, not official, unless someone knows otherwise?
"The "Command" spell may be used on the prize-carrier to drop and/or move. May not be used to digup." Nothing in the rules I can find.
"The carrier drops it if killed or flees (fails courage)" Looks official.
"A Ring Wearer cannot dig or pickup the prize while invisible, but may carry it." Nothing in the rules I can find, so I am assuming this is House Rules to prevent Isildur from riding up, then off with the Prize while everybody stands around having to pretend they can see him. But then...a Ring Wearer's horse doesn't become invisible, does it?

Apart from Isildur (or a pass off to Frodo), seems like Galadhrim Knights (or anyone else with 28 cm range) have a distinct 'first to arrive'' advantage in Sieze the Prize.

Any opinions/ or favorite tactics from experience?

Post subject: Re: Sieze the Prize tactic and rules
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

From the LoME entry it appears any model can dig it up, including monsters. But once it's dug up it's just "sitting" there waiting for someone man sized to pick it up. After that it follows the normal rules in the OR / MoM book on carrying small objects.

Regarding passing at any time in the Move, here's the issue. You have to hand over in base contact. You can't be in base contact while moving. So one of the two models must have just moved into base contact with the other and ended it's Move. This can either be Model A has the artifact, moves into contact with Model B and ends it Move. Model A and B exchange the artifact and Model B can then move with it. Or else Model B moves into contact with Model A and ends its move. Model A hands over the artifact to B and then Model A moves (without it), perhaps as a blocking maneuver. The "at the start of the Move" is probably a house rule to structure the turn.

Command spell specifically has you move. It does not give other advantages such as forcing a model to drop the artifact. What it CAN be used for, effectively, is to get the model carrying it to come to you or get them into a vulnerable position for you to kill them. If the model with the artifact dies then it is dropped at that location and another man-sized model can go pick it up (mark it with a die, coin, special counter, etc.).

Faster force usually does have an advantage in most objective-based scenarios in SBG simply because they can get there first. In many of those a tougher, but slower, force can try to dislodge them later, but in Size the Prize it's all about speed. If you can get there first and then have enough speed to escape first, you're home free. This is why this scenario shows up in a lot of multi-game events but isn't a good one for an event of its own. It really gives a different dynamic to play in and if it's going to be part of an event then players need to either accept that and either adjust their "brute force" armies a little or just accept the challenge of it.

Personally I've done great with this using Wood Elves. I have enough shooting to put the hurt on a lot of fast moving forces, and one or two Sentinels to try to sing an enemy off the objective or lure them closer to my own force if they have it. I usually have Galadriel, Protectress of Lothlorien ( -1 Courage helps make the Sentinels song more effective) or a Wizard (Command). And Legolas's auto-hit or Thranduil's 2+ hit (I usually have one of these two) plus Might is usually good to stop someone running away with the artifact as well. They are not the fastest force in the game but Woodland Creature helps with a lot of common terrain and their shooting effectively extends their reach.

I also had luck with this using Isgegard Scouts and Warg Riders with (IIRC Ugluk and Lurtz). Good numbers on the table. Warg Riders had shields and throwing spears with the purpose of engaging the enemy as close to their own line as possible. I maxed bows on the Scouts so some could fire from the flank while 1/2 moving forward. The rest of the Scouts and their Heroes rushed forward. There was carnage within a tight circle around the artifact but IIRC at one point one of my Scouts got it, but was charged by an enemy. I countered with Lurtz and another model or two and declared Heroic Fight. They won the fight, jumped to another fight on the outer edge of the melee and won there too. They were now outside the core battle, would have declared Heroic Move if needed, passed the artifact to a Hero and went running. It was a chase of foot troops to the edge and a nail biter for sure (always found Uruk Scouts a good well rounded army in SBG).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Sieze the Prize tactic and rules
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is great. Seems like a few Galadrim Knights would do well, with that 28 cm range.