All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:13 am

Post subject: Galadhrim vs Haradrim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Soon I'm going to be starting Galadhrim... and my brother is starting Haradrim...
:o :shock: :o
Is it true they are the ultimate anti-elf army?
Is there a way to beat them?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Post subject: Re: Galadhrim vs Haradrim
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The simplest and most effective thing to do is to take shields; this will make his shooting half as effective. Your shooting will then be superior to his, so you'll be able to sit back and fill him with arrows.

By the time you get into combat, hopefully your armies will be equal sizes (his army will be bigger to begin with). Due to the Elves superior combat ability, you should be better in combat, and be able to beat him.

Simples :)

(in reality it won't be that easy, but it's nice to think it will)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It totally depends on the points level you're playing. At 500 the game will be quite balanced because of 50 model limit, but in 700 you'd want to include better heroes and these are likely to be nullified by Shadow Lord if he takes one and his numbers will be far superior. It's true that Harad is the anti-elf army, but the balance in LotR is so finely tuned that anything can beat anything else if the scenario is right and players play well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Galadhrim have galadriel, blinding light.
Harad have poison
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haradrim have poison but they ahve a big disadvantage... No shields!
You can take shields plus a strong hero... Cavalry would also be very helpful...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The thing about this is he doesn't want any named heroes... so his army will be something like this(500pts):

Mounted King
Chieftain

36 Haradrim (24 spears, 12 archers)
and then as many cavalry he can fit in to avoid going over model limit.

So at this rate he'll be charging me with a hoard of cavalry and a hoard of infantry while I'll be outnumbered nearly 2:1...

:o :o It still seems nearly impossible!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pardon my french, but screw the chieftan, get a hasharin in there, they are very good, especially against flimsy little elves.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're outnumbered like that you might have too many heroes. Galadhrim are about 10 points each, so take Rumil + 40 and a couple of pikes, or Galadriel and 35 or so warriors. Your warriors outfight his heroes, it's not a problem. You barely need standfast...you're elves! :)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If he doesn't use any named heroes or ring wraiths Harad isn't too bad. From my experience a lot their deadliness comes from their cavalry. Cheap and lead by Suladan, relatively cheap with lots of might, they can wreak havoc and then let the infantry clean up what's left. However, their troops are pretty soft, then again I've got a dwarven army so almost everything seems soft, so picking them off with your archers should not be too difficult. If he keeps his cavalry with his troops you will have plenty of time to shoot them and if he doesn't all it takes is one turn with priority to gank them. Without a hero with lots of might he will have a hard time using his cavalry to their full effect, just make sure you're ready when he looses priority.
It won't always work out, in fact I loose most of my battles against my friend's haradrim, though, as others have said, the game is pretty balanced so if you use strategy and the dice come out right you should have a good chance.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Easterling wrote:
The thing about this is he doesn't want any named heroes... so his army will be something like this(500pts):

Mounted King
Chieftain

36 Haradrim (24 spears, 12 archers)
and then as many cavalry he can fit in to avoid going over model limit.

So at this rate he'll be charging me with a hoard of cavalry and a hoard of infantry while I'll be outnumbered nearly 2:1...

How are you being outnumbered 2:1? As stated before get 1 captain and fill the rest of the points with just elves and you'll easily be on 40, outshooting him and outfighting in combat. Model limit at 500pts is only 50, if you're outnumbered by more than 15 then the likelyhood is that you're doing something really really wrong. Of course you might be something like 400, then the game becomes biased with a favour to cheap warrior armies, but you still should be on at least 34 models then.

Cavalry is rubbish against elves because if you charge 1 cav into 1 supported elf you're losing combat most of the time and you're likely losing a model that's twice as expensive as a foot warrior.

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Pardon my french, but screw the chieftan, get a hasharin in there, they are very good, especially against flimsy little elves.

Hasharin are really overpriced and they're especially rubbish against elves because of the F5 drawing combats, so half of the time your D4 Hasharin is actually getting hit and often wounded, he's pretty useless against elves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK so I should rather start to maximize the amount of warriors I have in my army and have limited heroes?

Here is a possible army(500pts):

Haldir with Armour and Elf Bow - 80pts

12 Warriors with Shield - 120pts
12 Warriors with Bow - 120pts
4 Warriors with Shield and Spear- 40pts
8 Warriors with Shield and Spear- 80pts

3 Knights with Shield - 57pts

497pts - 13 Bows(Haldir with 2 shots?), 40 Models

:oops: Maybe it isn't that hard...
How well do you guys think it would do against a 50 model Haradrim force? :twisted:

Thanks for all the input so far 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you don't have it, download the Galadhrim PDF from GWs site, there are changes since the Fall of the Necromancer book.

Every Galadhrim starts with an elf blade. They can swap to a spear for free, but they can't drop it. So the 12 with shield should have spears (you have the points right). The 8 and 4 become exactly the same as the 12 just mentioned. You might want to keep a few blades though to use 2 handed, and those models can't have shields, saving a few points. You have 3 points left over, so if you keep 3 models with just blades, you could give bows to your knights...they can still keep their shields because of the expert rider rule, and it makes them more useful early in the game. Of course you'd have to adjust the other numbers for the bow limit.

Personally I think the knights are too expensive, I'd rather take their points and have 5 GotGC...I really like these guys, though others would probably suggest only 3 or so, and more normal models.

I think that would do pretty well against Harad. Lots of D5 means lousy pickings for his archers, you should kill twice the models he does in shooting, once you get to hand-to-hand the odds are with you.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
I think that would do pretty well against Harad. Lots of D5 means lousy pickings for his archers, you should kill twice the models he does in shooting, once you get to hand-to-hand the odds are with you.

I agree. I would also recommend dropping the Knights, just three aren't really going to do anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Actually the list he's taking also has 12 archers :-D (the same amount as mine) so I should be able to bring him down to even numbers by the time we come into close close combat.
The thing about him charging me with cavalry is that he gets 2 attacks to my 1 for an extra 1 or 2 points and he'll have about ten of them(cavalry)... so being outflanked could be a problem. :roll:

Thanks for the advice 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You have lots of shields, so when he charges, just shield. You get equal dice, which means the odds are with you. If he loses priority, charge and enjoy. Besides, if you control terrain he shouldn't be able to completely around you without you being able to find a few models to give spear support to.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cool thanks for all of this I feel much more confident now :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just remember you outfight everything he has, once he gets a wraith, you may have a bit more difficulty with your heroes chopping people up but nonetheless any roll of 6 means you win the fight, unless if he recruits a fight 6 hero, and trust me there are very few of those in the evil team.