All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:29 am

Post subject: Fellbeasts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anybody has any good house rules for a ringwraith on fellbeast, as in War of the Ring (which I don't play) it has a swoop attack which can deal some damage however there is no equivalent in SBG. You can pick people off one by one but its not hard to be unlucky and loose the fight which is pretty unrealistic as in the films the fellbeasts are huge deadly creatures????

Post subject: Re: Fellbeasts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Actually in the films the beasts rarely take on more than 2 people.
A fell beast normally does well vs 2 normal warriors.

The real win with fellbeasts is the fear they can cause by just being there. suddenly the enemy is defending BOTH sides of their pike block etc.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed. In SBG a Nazgul on FB can already be pretty effective. But you need to keep it from getting shot out from under you and also not get too far away from support. Treat it very much as you would any other mounted Hero except that the FB really helps you nail the kills when you do attack.

The biggest failure I've seen people do with them is using their mobility to get ahead of their force and then they are easily picked off. As mentioned use them to take out basic troops, not Heroes. A Nazgul in SBG (at least the original unnammed ones) are primarily support forces. You burn Will to fight, and need Will to use your magic and keep alive. So don't try to use them as killing machines early in the game. But supporting the army, taking advantage of flank and rear vulnerabilities, and helping to mop up. Just keep them sheltered as much as possible from bow fire (yeah, already mentioned but warrants repeating).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Legolas31 wrote:
Hi,
I'm just wondering if anybody has any good house rules for a ringwraith on fellbeast, as in War of the Ring (which I don't play) it has a swoop attack which can deal some damage however there is no equivalent in SBG. You can pick people off one by one but its not hard to be unlucky and loose the fight which is pretty unrealistic as in the films the fellbeasts are huge deadly creatures????

I think im safe in saying that in sbg the fell beast was made to be capable of killing handfuls of warriors in one turn but can be killed if it goes into a "hero heavy area" for example: Witch king on fell beast transfixes theoden, since he's an easy target, and goes in for the kill, however eowyn and merry are nearby and counter charge the fell beast, suddenly the witch king is facing three attacks of equal fight value, but the enemy have more might between them so will more likely win the fight than the WK. If you are unsure about using a fell beast in sbg i recomend taking the undying or khamul on fellbeast, khamul because he can boost his fight value and undying because he is worthy of his name. Even better, take both! That way undying can cast black dart with confidence without dying from lack of will.