All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:36 am

Post subject: tips on using the spider Queen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I know that the spider Queen is really powerful but my only experience with her is getting my elves massacred by her.
I'm going to use her in a 700 pt army but I need some tips on using (and killing) her.
Help?

Post subject: Re: tips on using the spider Queen
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As with any monster in SBG, don't let yourself get surrounded. And try not to take on any Heroes unless you are doing it with support of other models.

One thing a lot of people struggle with is the use of her broodlings. They can be a great surprise if used well. If you don't spring them early then when you are ready you can pop them out and use them to surround (trap) your foe and get double strikes if you win the Fight. That can be the end of even the most powerful Hero. You can also use them to stall enemy Heroes or block ZoC.

Keep her blocked from bow fire as well as possible early, use her to take on regular troops (a couple at a time but don't get surrounded) and keep other models (Giant Spiders or her own broodlings if needed) around to support her and pull off anyone that tries to surround.

The things to watch out for are (1) a Wizard nailing her with cheap spells to get you to burn Will and loose the ability to fling baby spiders and (2) getting surrounded. I've taken the SQ out pretty easy with my Wood Elves by having one or two Heroes / Captains charge her and then either crowd around with Elves and/or support with Spears (no need to risk a terror check when supporting). This is especially effective if some of those fighting her have 2H weapons. She is also at risk of concentrated bow fire.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The spider queen is only 75 points, and for me she always kills about 100 points worth of models, which come in the form of rushing captains and killing a few elites. The "best" use of the broodlings is to negate archers that are 19" away: SQ moves 10", summons broodlings 3" away, broodlings charge 6", and thus SQ can charge on open ground without fear of bowfire. Beowulfs tactic of surrounding enemy heroes is an excellent tactic, since you get an extra 6 attacks to wound from the broodlings. There are an abundance of fight 5 heroes which cost the same as SQ but can be completely destroyed by her. The biggest threat to her is glorfindel, because of his annoying fight 7 :(

In short, my advice is aim for enemy elites/captains so she can kill her points worth and then accept that she may not last long after the first few rounds of combat if you don't make a big effort to protect her.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
The spider queen is only 75 points, and for me she always kills about 100 points worth of models, which come in the form of rushing captains and killing a few elites. The "best" use of the broodlings is to negate archers that are 19" away: SQ moves 10", summons broodlings 3" away, broodlings charge 6", and thus SQ can charge on open ground without fear of bowfire.

Yeah! I forgot about leapfrogging the Broodlings like that. It's been a long time since I've used her like that. My last couple games that included her on one side or the other have been up close and personal (used against me last was on a board covered with several Rohan huts and large hills for cover. But rushing her forward, throwing the spawn out at max distance and then rushing them can be a real surprise. Just have some other fast units (Spiders or Wargs for example) to support her or she may be cut off, surrounded and killed easily.

Beowulfs tactic of surrounding enemy heroes is an excellent tactic, since you get an extra 6 attacks to wound from the broodlings. There are an abundance of fight 5 heroes which cost the same as SQ but can be completely destroyed by her.

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
The biggest threat to her is glorfindel, because of his annoying fight 7 :(

I don't use Glorfindel much but the combat version of Galadriel is also great for taking her (and most monsters) down. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

wow! thanks for the help.
I have another Question; I saw someone moving his SQ apart from his army once with cover of some wargs.
should I keep her behind/with the army or should I move her apart like that one guy?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I used to use wargs as cover for the SQ and it did work relatively well, but that was in an army where everything could move atleast 10" but if nyour army is, for example, 30 orcs, 10 wargs and SQ then you do not want to use this tactic to get her ahead of the rest of the force. Pretty much any elf lord is a pain for the SQ to deal with but the ones with high fight values are extra annoying. If you really struggle with her then use Druzhag alongside her.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

One early mistake a lot of players make is getting their high speed models out far ahead of their force and finding it easily picked off. The SQ is one example, Nazgul on Fell Beast, Giant Eagles and Shelob are all others. Its also easy to do this with Cav units (including Wargs and Giant Spiders) but you usually have several of these in the force so there is some degree of coverage.

Just as you could rush these models forward early, you can also keep them shielded somewhat behind your army or else take the "long way around" with terrain coverage. Then when the main forces are starting to clash and your opponent has had to commit the bulk of their army against the bulk of yours your high-speed models can swing out from behind your army and flank the opponent. Flying or crawling (Spiders) are great for this because they can also avoid most terrain / obstacles in the flanking.

What you're going to find is that you won't have a single tactic that works best. You should have a small arsenal of 3-4 tactics for each key unit and use those as the foundation for your game based on all the factors that change - who is your opponent, what are their army's strengths and weaknesses, how does your opponent play, what is the rest of your army composed of, what is the terrain, what are the scenario goals, etc.

This has the alternate (but just as important) advantage of making it harder for your opponent to adapt to your play and develop counters.

So for the SQ for example, some key tactics suggested here:
1. Rush forward (probably with coverage of other high-speed models), throw your broodlings out and rush them forward. Good to engage a clustered (but lightly protected) archer group or siege engine crew.
2. Rush forward to engage and cripple cavalry forces trying to outmaneuver you.
3. Hide behind cover of your advancing army and then flank to the relatively weak rear lines
4. Hide behind cover of your army but near the front so that it can participate with the van to add a powerful punch to break the enemy line with support.

Have thoughts on playing in each of these modes, and maybe some others suggested here or that you come up with, and when you are setting up for the game decide how you want to implement her.