All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:33 am

Post subject: Rohan throwing spears shieldwall
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is just to check if this is useful at all, or just plain silly. I'm not a gamer at all, but this idea will not leave my mind.
As we are all aware Rohan can't make the traditional spear and shield wall, like Gondor for example.

Rohan warrior with shield and throwing spear = T
Rohan warrrior with shield = S

T T T T
S S S S

The idea is to shield with the front rank and then in the shooting phase throw spears from the rank behind. Instead of charging and becoming locked in combat, the Rohan warriors with throwing spears are protected by the front rank and can throw into the combat, while being untouched by the combat itself. The wall is defensive in nature, but the second rank gives it some much needed teeth.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty excited to hear any feedback, bring it on!

Post subject: Re: Rohan throwing spears shieldwall
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rohan are good guy's so can't throw into combat. I once broke a uruk pike phalanx with throwing weapons and Might superiority. I would win priority and throw at D5 pikemen and charge into the fight and then shield.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for the reply! I read a rule somewhere that you can shoot over a friendly model in base to base contact in the shooting phase, that's correct at least?
Arrgh I wish I had the rulebook available, I'm afraid I'm making a fool of myself. One more thing, you can throw your throwing weapon before you charge, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, you can shoot (or throw) over the shoulder of an ally you are in base contact with, but only evil can throw into combat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Can each model throw his spear more than once though? If not, this tactic doesn't have much potential.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes once per turn.:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well this a bit silly, just forget this topic was ever created, too many mistakes from my part. It is useless, but oh well :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No mate it wasn't silly at all. In fact it's not a bad idea!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Funnily enough, I've been thinking about trying something like this. Because I'm so sick of GW's prices, I've decided to start SAGA (a Historical Dark Ages Skirmish game) and bought around 86 assorted Anglo Saxons (for less than £50 too!). I also intend to use them as Rohan Infantry at some point, maybe the men of the Westfold (led by Grimbold) . 86 miniatures gives me a lot of Rohan shieldwalls. :D And as a bonus, Gripping Beast does very cheap metals for Early Saxon/Germanic tribal cavalry and Wargames Factory do cheap plastic Germanic cavalry. So I could still do Riders of Rohan on a budget. :D

Your Shieldwall tactic is a good idea and somewhat similar to how a real dark age shieldwall would have worked. The warriors in the front rank would have been pushing and shoving against the opposing shieldwall (close enough to smell their breath :rofl: ), and wouldn't have had much space to draw and wield weapons such as swords or axes. So they used Seaxes, a type of shortsword or long dagger, using it to stab over, under and around the enemy's shields (perhaps in a similar fashion to how a Roman Legionary would have wielded his Gladius). Meanwhile the people in the 2nd ranks etc would be shoving forwards, pressing against the men in the front rank, and throwing or jabbing with spears and making overhead chops with axes and swords whenever possible.

In game, this would work out with you using the front ranks to Shield, to maintain the line, whilst your men in the rear ranks do the killing by throwing their spears when the front rank is not engaged (when they've pushed the enemy back enough to give enough space to wield your weapons).

Oh and btw, I don't claim to have any special knowledge of how dark age combat and shieldwalls would have worked in practice, I've just been reading a lot of novels and history books on that period lately. :oops: (Bernard Cornwell and Osprey books mainly).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well I just won a pitched battle against ghaladrim, thanks in major part to this tactic.

8 shield warriors with 8 throwing spears behind. holding at the center and throwing, and then shielding in combat, then throwing. Against 9-10 pt elfs 13 pt riders meant I had a huge advantage in numbers. so I crushed his flanks.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This doesn't sound right. The only time you can throw is if you charge, which the guys in the back can't do, or in the shoot phase, after everyone has moved. But if he was smart he would have just charged your shield wall, leaving you with no targets, because you can't throw into combat.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

true, After winning-losing a fight and then winning priority I moved back 6 inches, then he had to move forward if he wanted to get close, then I threw.