All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:15 am

Post subject: How different is the new SBG to the old one?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just curious here what with the new sourcebooks, as I'd consider myself an experienced SBG player (friendlies only though, but experienced none the less). I always used to use the plain ol' paper-back rules to make armies, but then bought the Mordor sourcebook to start using named wraiths, BNs, etc etc.

Anyway, what I'd like to know, if you're able to tell me (dunno if it's allowed in forum rules), what are the main differences from the old SBG and the new "Warbands" system, rules wise and in general? - I'm a bit rusty on the old SBG, so please forgive me if I am unaware of rules (all I remember is the priority system, combat system, shooting, magic vaugley and that you had a 33% bow limit lol - that's the kind of rule you look up when your Gondor friend spams rangers...)

So yeah, thanks in advance :)
 Post subject: Re: How different is the new SBG to the old one?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Aside from stat or special ability changes the only gameplay change is that you require 1 hero for every 12 warriors you field, and that all good and evil armies have resolved their differences and any army can ally (but a gondor capitain can only lead gondor troops, he cant decide to take some rohan riders instead)

Basically, they are encouraging more hero play, and making it easier to bring in some allies to address your armies weaknesses (if any). Overall, I'm happy with the new "warbands"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hm, so I could basically just make a house rule of 1 hero to every 12 warriors and use the old rule-book and effectively be playing the new edition? - We were never fussed about allies - if it was in your source-book/army (e.g Gondor) then you could field it lol.

- When you say any army... does that mean even an evil and good army could ally? :| because that'd be just...odd.

edit: Presumably when you say that only a Gondor captain can lead Gondor troops you mean you need a hero from your ally army correct? So that in effect the allies would have their own leader as well?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry for the confusion.

Yup, that house rule would work fine, but I'd still recomend you take a look at the new profiles, some are quite nice, some are not so nice :)

Only good can ally with good, and bad with bad, so you can't bring in warg riders for your womt :p Just meant any good with any good, etc.

For your edit, pretty much. So an example army would be gondor capitain and 12 womt, faramir on horse and 12 knights of gondor, and eomer and 12 rider of rohan.

Your also supposed to have a "leader" but there was no rules explaining the significance of that, so it was a moot point. Oh, and hero's like the twins or kings champ where you buy them together are placed in the same warband, so you can't lead multiple warbands with them. Makes sense.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Isn't there a new scenario where the leader is important? I think the new scenarios are a relevant change on top of the warband composition.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Battalia wrote:

Your also supposed to have a "leader" but there was no rules explaining the significance of that, so it was a moot point. Oh, and hero's like the twins or kings champ where you buy them together are placed in the same warband, so you can't lead multiple warbands with them. Makes sense.

Wounding/killing army Leaders scores victory points when using the non-scenario missions.